The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Tech: LeafZone vs. Seachem Flourish + Potassium

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Teebo 
#1 ·
I am always trying to help my friends with their aquariums and pushing free cuttings on them, many have success but need just a little something extra for the plants. Lately I have been giving out tiny bottles to friends, one of Flourish Comp and one of Potassium (both Seachem products). I have them dose the Potassium at the same ratio as the Flourish directions (which is actually half the recommended level according to the Potassium directions). For example for 5 gallons it would be 0.4mL of Flourish and 0.8mL of Potassium but I would have them use only 0.4mL of Potassium. I really want to mix the Flourish and Potassium together for them but I am not sure how stable the storage would be? I have seen the API LeafZone which says it contains iron and potassium but I am not sure it has the rest of the traces Flourish has, and possibly may even have more iron than Flourish contains. Personally I do not give them any of my Seachem Iron because I feel the Flourish has enough iron and I only use it independently because I have red plants which imo is creeping out of the low tech range of the hobby.

So what do you think?

-Switch them over to LeafZone

-Mix the Seachem Flourish & Potassium

-Keep using Flourish & Potassium separately

See less See more
#2 ·
Have another idea, what about just using root tabs with Excel? I do the root tabs, they do the Excel. Only thing is I found the tabs to make the tank swing at first which complicates things on them, since it affects the water column too in a small tank. Personally I do not use root tabs in any of my tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.