The Planted Tank Forum banner

PPS-Pro micros

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  alphabeta 
#1 ·
Hi guys, a quick question about PPS-Pro Micros dosing:

Here are the rec dosing from various sources.
1) on PPS-Pro web-site https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro
Pour into bottle 500 ml bottle, 29 grams of dry Trace Element mix (CSM+B Plantex). Dose daily 2 drops or 0.1 ml per 10 gallon

2) Dosing Instructions
500 ml water, 40g of CSM+B. Dose daily 1ml per 10gallons

3) Aquarium Calculators | PPS-Pro | DIY Aquarium Plant Food Calculator
40 gr to 500ml. Dose 1.1 ml per day per 10 gallons

4) Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home
60g to 500 ml. Dose 1-4 drops per gallon per day, or 0.5-2ml per 10 gallons

2) and 3) are essentially the same, 4) a little bit higher (not PPS-Pro but general guidelines), while the "official PPS-Pro" has recommends more that 10 times lower. Is that a mistake, or maybe I am missing something. Just trying to understand what's going on, and please do not take this as a new debate on toxicity on micros and related topics.

See less See more
#2 ·
What has been extensively discussed on this forum (and likely others) is the toxicity of micro ferts and how much micro's are consumed by a typical planted tank. Using the various calculators will likely result in 1.0ppm FE for a weekly dosing. The PPS-Pro site you are referencing has elected to cut that level to 0.1ppm FE weekly. Can some plants use more, sure. But, it seems easier to over dose micros than to under dose micros. If you go to the PPS-Pro site there is a section that discusses micro's - good read.

#3 ·
I used to dose PPS-PRO and I dosed 1ml per 10 gallons. I never saw micro toxicity, thats not to say that there wasn't any. Make a decision, you can always increase dosing, or cut back when you need to.

#4 ·
ok, thanks. that answers my question, so it is not a mistake, just different opinion. Indeed, i found this on that site: "Recently, I have learned about trace elements toxicity from Solcielo Lawrencia, who if true, should get the Nobel Prize for finding aquarium toxicity issues and CEC substrate implications. For this reason I have reconsidered the PPS-Pro recommendation on trace elements levels of 0.1 ppm TE (Fe) back to the safer zone of 0.01 ppm TE (Fe)."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.