Seachem Excel Question - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Seachem Excel Question

I use Excel on my new tank and I have zero experience with this product save for the three weeks I've been using it. It seems to work as my tank should be an algae farm by now without it even though the growth rate of my plants is middling. I'm planning on going to full EI dosing now that I have my water change rig all set up and I'm wondering about the Excel instructions from Seachem requiring a massive dose with any 50% water change. Supposedly around here people usually skip this "starter dose" and dose double what is recommended by Seachem. Can anybody shed some light on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
I use Excel on my new tank and I have zero experience with this product save for the three weeks I've been using it. It seems to work as my tank should be an algae farm by now without it even though the growth rate of my plants is middling. I'm planning on going to full EI dosing now that I have my water change rig all set up and I'm wondering about the Excel instructions from Seachem requiring a massive dose with any 50% water change. Supposedly around here people usually skip this "starter dose" and dose double what is recommended by Seachem. Can anybody shed some light on this?
Hi goodbytes,

Actually the Initial Dose after a water change is to bring the level of available carbon back to the level it was before the water change....after all you just removed 50%...yes I do the Initial Dose after water changes.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Planted Member

I add 10ml to my heavily planted 75g every day. Regardless of water changes. I've seen very good growth and no side effects. Practically zero algae too.

Im not sure I'd double the dose. I use just slightly more than the recommended and am having great results
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Some say do it, other say don't you'll harm invertebrates and plants like vals etc.
Depending where you look and who you talk to the answer may be different.
I choose not to on the off chance the ones saying nay are correct.
Clearly Seattle for example supports the do it viewpoint.
I am guessing there is no absolute answer.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Planted Member

I forgot to mention that I have 30+ RCS in my tank and lots of snails. I can't say that Excel had/has any negative impact on them at all
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I meant that quadruple dose business not the use of Excel. I dose Metricide myself @ Excel strength.
Also have cherries, amano, apple snail, nerites.
Think my tanks have become chemistry classes.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Sunsun Pimp #95
David Crockett
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post

This subject comes up relatively often, and the common answer that I remember is that there is no need for it. It's been explained that excel/metricide has an effective time of less than a day. The idea of building it back up to pre-change levels isn't correct.

That being said, there is the obvious algicidal effects from overdosing it. I've seen some of my plants melt or be stunted from it. And I'd defer to the shrimp experts for the effects on them.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This subject comes up relatively often, and the common answer that I remember is that there is no need for it. It's been explained that excel/metricide has an effective time of less than a day. The idea of building it back up to pre-change levels isn't correct.
Hi All,

Actually Seachem Excel / glutaraldehyde has a half-life (1/2 life) of a little over 10.5 hours. Therefore slightly less than a quarter (1/4) of the Excel / glutaraldehyde / carbon dosed one day is still present when we dose 24 hours later. It takes about 48 hours to naturally remove Excel / glutaraldehyde from our tanks.

Quote:
Per Union Carbide" (In an) aerobic system, active glutaraldehyde had a half-life of approximately 10.6 hours and was completely metabolized after 48 hours.
Lonestarbandit likes this.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post

That being said, there is the obvious algicidal effects from overdosing it. I've seen some of my plants melt or be stunted from it. And I'd defer to the shrimp experts for the effects on them.
I agree with this, it is broken down quickly from what I have read about it. Best would be dose the daily dose before lights on or when light is starting its peak (if you are on a system with sunrise).
Dosing to compensate for WCs sounds expensive with EI :P

Another interesting thing is that with Easy-Carbo there is no such instructions on my bottle. I.e no "startup" dose. Just a daily dose? Seachem a bit greedy perhaps? :P
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Doesnt Abide

I use metricide 14 at double dose. I have snails and shrimps and have not had a problem except my dang plants grow like weeds, if you consider that a problem
Tbonedawg08 likes this.

75G Dirted Low Tech
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...doods-75g.html

20H Dirted Low Tech with DIY Canopy/Cooling System
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ml#post9380497

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ml#post8341313
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissure View Post
I agree with this, it is broken down quickly from what I have read about it. Best would be dose the daily dose before lights on or when light is starting its peak (if you are on a system with sunrise).
Dosing to compensate for WCs sounds expensive with EI

Another interesting thing is that with Easy-Carbo there is no such instructions on my bottle. I.e no "startup" dose. Just a daily dose? Seachem a bit greedy perhaps? :P
It is in their better interests for you to use more bringing you back to restock.
Unless you are on metricide heheheh

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Sunsun Pimp #95
David Crockett
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
I meant that quadruple dose business not the use of Excel. I dose Metricide myself @ Excel strength.
Also have cherries, amano, apple snail, nerites.
Think my tanks have become chemistry classes.
I expecting to see a sticky note on your bottles saying without seachem.:-P
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yes I've failed in that regard lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
latchdan likes this.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Sunsun Pimp #95
David Crockett
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I use metricide 14 at double dose. I have snails and shrimps and have not had a problem except my dang plants grow like weeds, if you consider that a problem
I've had trouble keeping cherries before with my water parameters.
So far they haven't all died this time on me.
So I'm not willing to stress them any further by double dosing. lol

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Sunsun Pimp #95
David Crockett
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
I dose Metricide myself @ Excel strength.
Id like to know what ratio with distilled water over metricide 14 you mix with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode