The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking to start using co2

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  natemcnutty 
#1 · (Edited)
I think that I have had enough experience with plants and have decided to go into using co2. have a couple questions though. For now I plan on using diy co2 as it is cheaper for me to do.

So here are my questions

1. Ceramic diffuser vs. atomizer, which is better?
2. How do you go about sizing the right co2 diffuser/atomizer for your aquarium?
3. Also do I just use airline tubing for this or do, I recall seeing and hearing in mentioned in a couple vidoes about co2 tubing?
4. How do I know how much co2 to add to my tank, I plan on using a bubble counter
That's all I can think of for now that found vague.

#2 ·
1) Depends on if you like the CO2 "mist" or not. Diffusers tend to have more of a mist effect than atomizers. Atomizers may require higher pressure.

2) The manufacturer should specify for their products. Large aquariums may require multiple diffusers and/or other methods of CO2 dissolution (e.g. reactor)

3) Airline tubing works, as does CO2 tubing. The loss of CO2 in regular airline tubing compared to the more expensive CO2 tubing is minimal.

4) A bubble counter only serves as a quick visual check to see that your CO2 is indeed being injected. A drop checker with 4 dkH reference solution is an alternative, or even just watching your livestock and plants will do.

#3 ·
Ok, so back with more questions. I had to put of this co2 escapade for a little bit because I got really busy. So I want to start off slow with this. I was gonna try the citric acid diy co2 method discussed in this video on my 5 gallon dirted tank with medium that I started a few months ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JzvfHO31Ug

So something that I have been wondering about is what can be done to minimize the amount of co2 I lose from bubbles popping at the surface? Also what I am curiuos about is the fact that co2 is best run when the lights are on. However my lights run from 10:30am-6pm, so what is the leeway for if the co2 runs while lights are off in case I don't get to it in time? I know a major downfall to diy co2 is the fact that they can't run on solenoids which are pretty much timers right? Correct me if I am wrong

#4 ·
You may be able to find some ceramic CO2 diffusers that work at lower pressures. They work by creating a fine mist, increasing the surface area that is exposed to the water column, allowing faster dissolution of CO2.

Alternatively, there are commercial devices such as a CO2 ladder, which increases the time the CO2 bubble has to dissolve into the water column.

I'm not sure what you are asking regarding the leeway of the CO2. As you plan to use the citric acid DIY CO2 method, you cannot turn it on/off, and I assume your lights are on a timer. The CO2 will just be running all day, so that should be fine.

#7 ·
Ok, so now to my last question. Because co2 is best run with the lights on and my light are on a timer but the co2 is not, what is an appropriate amount of time for the co2 to run while lights are off, in case I can't always be in time to turn off the co2 when the lights go off?

#8 ·
AFAIK the only issue is the potential to run the CO2 too high for the fish since the plants won't be consuming any CO2. I know some people with pH probes run CO2 all the time to keep the level constant at all times. However, I don't use DIY CO2 so I can't really offer anything more on how people with those set-ups handle the overnight period. Though I suppose you could simply let it run while you are home and see what happens. That way you are there to respond if it does start to go too high. Then you would know when, if at all, it might become an issue.

#11 ·
I use 2l of DIY CO2 and run for the whole time in 23g shrimp tank, it is not that different in my views whether you turn it off or on for the whole time..my drop checker is always green and I havent any issue with shrimps and plants for that. May be cos it is just diy CO2. I use ceramic diffuser as I hard atomizers need high pressure and will work only with pressurized system.

#18 ·
Goto Green Leaf Aquariums Start here if you are really going to do co2! If you buy all that cheap stuff IT WILL COST YOU IN THE END! I just got into it to and started here and yes I paid ($400) but that is all in! For probably a lifetime minus the $11 is cost to fill my tank maybe once or twice a year! So in the end it will be cheaper! And safer for your fish!

#20 ·
Drop checker is great for a quick reading of co2 concentration. I would recommend at least once, take a cup of water out of your aquarium and let the co2 escape from the water for about a day and then measure your ph. When you start injecting co2 aim for a 1point ph drop. That will mean that you are at about 30ppm co2 in the aquarium.

#23 ·
I think you didn't get a response because the question isn't really the right one. For a diffuser on DIY, you will be limited to those with lower PSI requirements. Honestly, just get one of those little glass ones with the ceramic discs.

As for bps, that depends on a lot of factors, so there is no cut and dry answer for you. I would start of slow, like 1 bubble every 2 second, then increase until you get the desired level of CO2 (30 ppm is what most people shot for here). You want to gradually increase to let your fish (and plants?) acclimate so you don't stress anything. Once on CO2, you'll have to be consistent with it, and if you decide to stop, you need to reverse that process. Slow and steady wins this race ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.