The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fertilizer testers Needed (testing closed)

7K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  Gatekeeper 
#1 · (Edited)
Testing Is Closed at this Time. Thank You.

I am developing my own root fertilizer system and I am looking for a few people to test them out. I need some specific things from these people:

Before pic of tank
Before pic of plant (out of water) before root tab (next to ruler or tape measure)
After pic of tank
After pic of plant (out of water, next to ruler or tape measure) (at 1, 2 and 3 week measures)

I need to know what substrate you are using and if you are currently using root tabs. Anyone who has a tank that is newly setup and willing to test this out would get dibs, as long as you can meet the above. Looking for tanks with heavy root feeders. I would like to spot test prior to filling the tank with these tabs. The dosing and size of tabs might likely change.

This is a comprehensive fertilizer with all nutrients needed.

I ask that none of this be shared with the public until I have reviewed the results.

If interested, PM me. Please include plant types, tank size, type, lights, co2, ferts. I prefer low tech, non co2, low fertilizer tanks.

I know this seems picky, but I want to be able to measure results. I might setup a small forum just so we can track the results. I will likely be picky with the initial testers. I want to make this as controlled as possible. Anyone willing to run controls( with tab, without, side by side) would be great. This product is similar to Ferka.

See less See more
#11 ·
Hi Overstocked ...

Congratulations on your goals ... and know that I will encourage you in your endeavor.

I used to sell ferts and you will often see my name associated in that context on many planted aquarium forums. I played with a variety of "diy" approaches to substrate fertilization strategies. Sold my own version of root tabs that utilized the diy approaches ...

You will join a long list and a large group of people who have done the same ...

Your strategy of seeking a variety of testers is good because performance varies wildly based on plant species, substrate, water hardness, water flow, and an unbelievable number of other variables ...

Personally ... I think root tabs are fantastic for centerpiece amazon swords and many of the generic sword family of plant varieties ... in many cases, these featured (centerpiece) plants do well with the supplemental root feedings where in the same aquarium many other species will see little or no noticeable benefit.

I also love them in low tech planted aquariums with very low light and zero water column nutrient dosing ...

There is a place for a high quality root tab ...

Your strategy of seeking a variety of testers will be valuable in helping identify specific environments where this value can be demonstrated ...

Best wishes ...
Greg Watson

#4 ·
I will be more then happy to help out! I am dealing with a GW problem at the moment but will help out for sure. Just let me know what I have to do.

#7 · (Edited)
What I need is an email to with the subject title "Fertilizer Test"

In the email include your mailing address. I will try to mail these out by end of the week. Still having some of them made. Please include your forum screen name in the email.

If you could also include the tank specifics(size, substrate, flora, dosing, lights, co2, etc) I would appreciate it for tracking.

#5 ·
One possible problem with your testing: there are no "heavy root feeders". All plants can feed from the roots or from the leaves. The plants with the extensive root systems are generally those that, in nature, have to cope with dried up bodies of water, so they need good roots to survive that season. Others with big root systems grow in fast flowing water, and need roots to anchor them in place.

This is relevant, because to really test your substrate fertilizer you need to limit the use of water dosing - no EI dosing, for example. Otherwise there will be no way to evaluate the effectiveness of the substrate fertilizer. And, of course it will be most relevant if you use only an inert substrate, either pool filter sand or flourite, expecting the flourite tanks to do better than the sand tanks due to the high CEC of that substrate.

#6 ·
I think when I say "heave root feeders" people generally refer to plants like crypts and sword plants. It think a difference can be noticed in plants even in column dosed thanks(in my experience. The root structures seem to indicate so, at least.

I have done all of my testing in tanks with OIL Dri or Crushed coral. I have 3 tests running now for 3 months and I am waiting to show the results until I start offering these, but I am quite happy.

Hoppy, do you have a LT tank with minimal dosing that you would be willing to try these out in. Again, from what I can tell the closest product to them is Ferka, though I intend to be far more affordable.

#9 ·
Thanks. This will in no way make me rich. Reality is it has consumed hundreds of hours of my time, as well as a LOT of money. For me to break even at the prices I intend to sell them for will take a long time. I really just want a quality root tab that has everything for a managable price. I am sick of the options out there, so thought I would give it a shot. It has been a lot of fun.

I plant on offering two types: All in one, and All in one PLUS boosted iron. Swords seem to love the added iron.

#12 ·
Greg, thanks for your kind words. I love your guide, btw.

I am really just hoping to offer a quality, affordable high nutrient substrate fertilizer that is easy to obtain. As YOU know, making money in this endeavor is more than challenging. Convincing people to take these for free has been hard enough!

If nothing else, in the end I will show everyone my methods, dosing, and system and offer it for them, though I doubt many people will go through the work to make them, despite offering what appears to be a superior root fertilizing system over commercial tabs.

This is my 7th formulation, and 3rd method. I am very happy with this one and thus the reason I felt the need to find a way to offer them publicly. Hoping for more people to pick them up this week for a mid to late week ship. Still having some produced right now.

#13 · (Edited)
OK here goes with a guinea pig counter offer
Seven tanks currently kept with five types of substrates. Three of which might meet your guidelines. Two are injected the rest currently are not. One 55g for sure as a low tech and non dosed with aged gravel and 10lbs. of Flora Base. Root tabs are all it sees with an occasional splash of CSM+B, Fe or K2SO4. Source water is awful so RO in all tanks with the mineral content built back with Rex's grumpy mix.
Only one wiggle;
Before pic of plant (out of water) before root tab (next to ruler or tape measure)
After pic of plant (out of water, next to ruler or tape measure) (at 1, 2 and 3 week measures)
Pulling the plants I'm not crazy about. How about in tank ruler photos next to or right behind the plant? I detail track my systems in excel regarding dosing and water parameters already so history is not a problem. Just that disturbing the substrate has caused (imo) most of the few fish problems I've had.

#15 · (Edited)
I am willing to take any people who will try them out I can. What I need is an email to with the subject title "Fertilizer Test"

In the email include your mailing address. I will try to mail these out by end of the week. Still having some of them made. Please include your forum name in the email.

I am still looking for 1 or 2 more testers. First come, first serve. If you can't follow the "rules" to a T that is just fine. What I really want is some experience from other users. Whether that be "I didn't see a change" or "I loved them, my plants loved them, I'm offering you my daughter in marriage" I don't care. Just want some feedback. ANy documentation along the way is great.

#18 ·
Hey...id be interested in giving these a shot...as long as they wont wipe out my tank full of fish? Im new to this hobby so let me explain where im at before you go sending me your products for free!

I set up my 20g with 30w of light over it about 5 weeks ago. Stocked it up with Echinodorus tenellus "Pygmy chain sword". Thats all ive really got going in there right now.. Ive also got it planted in regular black gravel.

2 weeks later, these plants began dying back from the tips...to where some algae began growing on the dead tips.

Figured I should do something quick before I lost all of my plants...At the beginning of last week, I set up two 26w CFL's over the tank, which brightened it up TONS, and set up DIY CO2.

Im not really seeing any improvement as of yet to my pygmy chain sword, which is leading me to thinking that my problem here is that walmart brand gravel has zero in it as far plant nutrients.

Anyway..thats where Im at now!

#20 · (Edited)
You are in a prime spot to help your plants. They need nutrients to go with the light and co2. In the mean time, turn your lights down in photoperiod. 6 hours or so to help you save your plants and lessen algae.

What I need is an email to @gmail.com with the subject title "Fertilizer Test"

In the email include your mailing address. I will try to mail these out by end of the week. Still having some of them made. Please include your forum screen name in the email.

If you could also include the tank specifics(size, substrate, flora, dosing, lights, co2, etc) I would appreciate it for tracking.

#25 ·
Just finished reading Tom's post and always 'great food for thought'.
Guess this means free tabs may be out of the question. :icon_frow (just kidding)
Covered many of the points that I was exposed to reading D. Walstads book.

#26 ·
Tom, I respect your opinions 100%. I am in the process of running significantly more controlled testing than this, on my own. What I am hoping for from users is some feedback to the ease of use of the product itself, among other variables.

I do have some questions about some of the specific testing methods and I will ask you those on your forum.

I still intend to send out samples of this fert tab to users here.

#28 ·
Yes, do not misinterpret here, you still should use the guinea piggies as well and have some practical users, but to answer the real questions you asked, you need to do the test I suggested, perhaps just the dry weight and the stem, shoot/root, leaf count etc in the flask like in that paper I posted.

You can do the N and P, maybe Fe analysis for a few samples, spend maybe 100$ or so for agricultural service to do the tissue analysis for you for a few samples.

But not really needed.

I would also add something like osmocoat to the mixture. I cannot see any good reason not to add something like vs say Jobes etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

#29 ·
Sorry if I missed it, but are you testing these in Riparium Supply planters also?

#32 ·
Sorry I have not responded to emails, trying to do that soon. I am sending back the last caps, they were not satisfactory. I hope to mail these out on Wednesday, but by friday for sure. I am running some controlled tests that will have some results by then, but am unsure of what I will give up right away!

#39 ·
Oh I hear ya.... It is so hard waiting to set a tank up.

Hoping to have enough riparium tabs made up to send some out with these. They are really just standard DIY root tabs, but trying to make them not break down so quick. Had to sorta DIY a kiln...
So does the wife let you use the oven as a DIY Kiln? :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.