Going with dry ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Going with dry ferts

Hey everyone. I've been using flourish and Pferts liquid ferts ever since I've had plants. I think it's time to switch over to dry as it takes a lot for my 125g.

Im a complete newb to this, but know I need micros and macros.

My question is how much do I use for each, and how often to dose what? I have a 125g discus tank that gets a 75 to 80% water change every Thursday and Sunday. This has been a great schedule for keeping my discus healthy and growing.

I do not do c02 in this tank. Lighting is 2 36" finnex planted plus 24/7s on 24 hour cycle.

Any help with this, and where the cheapest place to get is? Do you guys keep the ferts in containers? Thanks!

Using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am in Canada, so I can't help you with where to buy dry fertilizers (assuming you are in the U.S.). I am sure that others can help with that. I use small containers to store a portion of the fertilizer for easy use and pack away the larger bags containing my stock of fertilizer. I use baby food jars, but any jar would work.

As for dosing, how heavily planted is your tank, and with what kind of plants. Also, what kind of dosing schedule are you on now? Would it be possible to provide a picture?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's the tank currently. Amazon Swords, wisteria, Java fern, and anubius.

I think I'm gonna go through green leaf aquariums to purchase. I'm just not sure how often or how much to dose.

Water changes of 75 to 80% occur every Thursday and Sunday, pretty religiously.

Using Tapatalk
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would consider searching out "Estimative index" dosing for your size tank.
I would look at what is added daily for High energy CO2 injected tank's which EI was designed for, and only add this much of macro/micro's once a week, after Sunday water change.
This is how I dose my own NON CO2 tank's and I am pleased with the plant growth.
Aquariumfertilzer.com or Greenleafaquariums.com can hook you up with the dry fertz.
I keep my dry fertz in small Tupperware container's and after water change,i scoop out a cup full of aquarium water and add the macro's to the cup and stir it up and then dump it in the tank.
Next day,,I do same for micro nutrient's.
Repeat after next weekly water change.
Do not believe you will need to dose twice weekly for each water change in NON CO2 injected tank.
Hope some of this helps.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definitely helps. GLA has the labeled jars for an extra 5 bucks. I think I'll go with those. 1 lb should last a good while. Thanks!

Just ordered the micros and npk ei method pack!

So you do think only one dose of micros and macros for the week are good with no c02 and the planted plus 24/7? Or should I dose each 3x per week in smaller doses?

Looks like 1/2 teaspoons usually? This stuff gets so confusing!

Using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-12-2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can dose 3 times a week if you want but cut the amount down to 1/3. Just be sure to dose macros and micros on separate days.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would dose far less than EI levels in that tank. You have a very low plant mass and your plants are mostly easy / undemanding
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will be adding some water sprite and Ludwigia repens soon. Trying to get more plants now that I have a much better light and some good ferts coming.

Using Tapatalk
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker2005 View Post
So you do think only one dose of micros and macros for the week are good with no c02 and the planted plus 24/7? Or should I dose each 3x per week in smaller doses?

Looks like 1/2 teaspoons usually? This stuff gets so confusing!
One dose a week macro/micro will be sufficient for present plant mass .
Maybe twice a week with 50% more plant's.
I know fish are focal point ,and viewing time is desired for largest part of the day perhaps.But I would be stingy with lighting intensity and duration.
Maybe eight hour's total light period and 50% of power if the 24/7 model allow's this ?
Certainly no more than ten hours total for NON CO2 where most of what CO2 is available naturally from biological activity at/in substrate ,and that from fish respiration is used up in first few hour's of light period.(or sooner)
If lighting is too strong,too long a photo period,then lack of ability to increase CO2 will be a limiting factor.
NON CO2 tank's with moderate light can and do perform well, but growth is slow/steady.
Too slow for many.
My two cent's.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

I just started using the Green Leaf Aquariums kit the sell for $25 or so. BUT my high pressure co2 system is down at the moment and have been dosing with Flourish Excel. Since I have not been running my pressurized system, can I blame the sudden spike in algae on the glass, plants and rocks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Algae Grower

I would be careful because you plant mass is so low,ive got a 75 gallon low tech that I dose about 1/5 of ei.Also you my want to check your nitrates and phosphates I never dose nitrates and very seldom phosphates in my discus tank it gets enough from the heavy feeding of beefheart I would put a root tab under the sword plant it looks like you've just got sand substrste.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK do I dose all macros at once? Like mwf? And then just Micros tts?

Using Tapatalk
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And does it matter when you dose each day?

Using Tapatalk
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And just so I'm clear. I do water changes usually on Thursday and Sunday.

Ei method says to do 1 water change per week. How does this affect my dosing with the discus tank? Will 2 water changes mess all of this up? Thanks

Using Tapatalk
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

get some from @nilocg

The Planted Tank Forum - View Profile: nilocg

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...7Cials%7C.html

i hear great things about his product, but sadly i didn't know about this till i bought my dry ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com

Tank: 29Gallon
Light: 24" Finnex 24/7 & 36" Ecoxotic LED
PH:7.5
Water Temp: 72-74F
GH/KH: 180 =10
Filter: Enhiem Ecco 2232 w/ Atomizer & ISTA Turbo Reactor
Injected Co2- 2-3 BPM (Prem. Aquatek Regulator)
Heater: Enhiem 125w
Tank Mates: 17 Galaxy Rasbora/ 3 Amano Shrimps

Last edited by Hsunami; 02-17-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: add @

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode