The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share.

346K views 413 replies 138 participants last post by  rajdude 
#1 · (Edited)
So, there have been a lot of threads (it seems) lately regarding pressurized CO2. Hopefully, this primer will help alleviate any fears that people have when starting to delve into CO2 as it can be quite intimidating at first. In addition, hopefully this primer will answer some of the most commonly asked questions regarding pressurized CO2.

As this thread will be discussing how to set up a pressurized CO2 system, advantages/disadvantages of using a pressurized setup versus a DIY (yeast) CO2 system will not be discussed in this primer. For more information, please take a look here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-general-planted-tank-discussion/107303-newbie-setup.html#5

On to pressurized CO2!

First, when people refer to pressurized CO2, we often read that we will need a "regulator" or a "regulator build." What does this mean exactly? This term is thrown around quite loosely in the aquarium hobby, but a pressurized CO2 system consists of more than just a regulator.

Here are the essential components you will need:

1) A CO2 cylinder
CO2 cylinders come in various sizes. They are often used in paintball guns (usually sold as 20 oz cans). They also come in 2.5, 5, 10 and 20 lb sizes (larger sizes such as 50 lb tanks do exist, but they are quite large and bulky, and are not commonly sold outside of specialty applications).

CO2 tanks come with a fitting known as a CGA320 fitting, which is standard in North America. Europe and Asia use different industrial standards. Paintball tanks, however, do not come with this fitting, and come with a pin depression type valve. More on this will follow below.

Many people believe that getting a small, paintball CO2 tank is "cheaper", however, this is not usually the case. Regulators (see below) often come with CGA320 fittings (or can be adapted to such). However, as paintball tanks do not contain this CGA320 fitting, normal regulators cannot be used, and you must purchase either a special regulator with the required fitting, or look around for a paintball tank to CGA320 adapter (often, quite difficult to find). In addition, refill costs for CO2 tanks are generally not much different. The refill cost for (say) a 5 lb tank and 10 lb tank may only be a few dollars different. For example, I can get my 10 lb tank refilled for $17.50, while a 20 oz paintball tank may cost $5 to refill. This means that the cost per pound of gas is more for a smaller tank. In addition, the larger the CO2 tank, the longer you can go without refilling the tank, etc. It can be quite a hassle to drive out and refill the tank, depending on where you live. The general piece of advice is to get the largest tank that you can afford and/or is feasible for the space that you have.

See less See more
#36 ·
Not at all; as long as you link directly here and do not copy and paste it onto your website, I am OK with that.

Your very first post your list essential components:

1) A CO2 cylinder
2) Regulator
3) Needle valve/metering

but you need a fourth in order for it to flow logically

4) Dissolution method (i.e. diffuser, reactor,etc.)
Is there any way that I can insert a post in between posts? :confused:

This article is just fantastic, and I think I will definitely link to it in the next few days :)
Again, as long as you link to this thread and do not copy and paste, then I am fine with that.

#35 ·
VERY nicely done man. I just posted an article on our blog about how to use paintball canisters to have a cheap CO2 setup. Despite the price per volume, the nice thing about the paintball setups is that they can fit under your tank more easily than a full sized canister. Having said that, they are definitely a bit pricier. This article is just fantastic, and I think I will definitely link to it in the next few days :)

Thanks for sharing!

#40 ·
Hey, thanks for posting this. I just had one question. I cant find one "ideal" needle valve on ebay but I can find a bunch of swageloks. Can you give me some swagelok model numbers that work for your average 1/8" NPT connection and a good price to look for? Thanks.
The "Ideal" needle valve is actually the company name (not the adjective ;))

For Swagelok, many of the low flow and some of the medium flow metering valves (check out their website for a list of part numbers) will work for our purposes.

#43 ·
You should remove the eBay link in your post, as they are not allowed.

As for the metering valve you linked to, I have not had experience with this Parker needle valve, but it seems very expensive, and excessive for our needs (fluorocarbon rubber seals? Do you plan to be injecting something corrosive into your aquarium?)

#53 ·
CO2 is corrosive, the standard seals on a Swagelok valve is only good for three to five years when used for CO2. Which is why I get the valves with the Vitron seals which are good forever. I would think that the more expensive seals on the Parker valve would be a good investment.

Reactions: Hilde
#44 ·
This is one great article! :proud:

I do have a suggestion.

For the methods of CO2 diffusion, a more elaborate introduction and step-by-step guide to the inline CO2 reactors would indefinitely help beginners. All the other methods of diffusion are pretty much self explanatory, but those reactors confused me to no end when I first heard about them, in terms of how to build them and where to buy them etc.

#45 ·
For the methods of CO2 diffusion, a more elaborate introduction and step-by-step guide to the inline CO2 reactors would indefinitely help beginners.
I can try to elaborate more on the inline CO2 diffusers.

All the other methods of diffusion are pretty much self explanatory, but those reactors confused me to no end when I first heard about them, in terms of how to build them and where to buy them etc.
How to build them and where to buy them may be beyond the scope of this article. There are lots of good links, however, that I might just link to in my article.

#48 ·
You should remove the eBay link in your post, as they are not allowed.

As for the metering valve you linked to, I have not had experience with this Parker needle valve, but it seems very expensive, and excessive for our needs (fluorocarbon rubber seals? Do you plan to be injecting something corrosive into your aquarium?)
My bad, won't do it again. I bought the thing for $80 mostly because of it's .0200 Cv and 15 turn resolutions which I believe most swageloks and Ideal's have 10 turn resolutions and a Cv of about .07.

I do admit that this is horrible overkill for a needle valve I'm sure, but if the only place I can find an Ideal is from Rex Grigg for $70+ shipping, then why not pay $10 more for a better NV that looks a lot better IMO. But your right about it being way too much overkill. I also, think even with this needle valve I'll be able to finish my regulator cheaper than buying the postbody kit off Sumo Regulator which comes with the Ideal. (I'm more so talking to myself right now :icon_roll

#50 ·
This is a fantastic writeup. I have been doing some research in preparation for getting a pressurized system for a while now. I am mechanically knuckleheaded and I this is the clearest explanation I have come across yet. Well done and thankyou. This is gonna be stickied, right?

#51 ·
This is a fantastic writeup. I have been doing some research in preparation for getting a pressurized system for a while now. I am mechanically knuckleheaded and I this is the clearest explanation I have come across yet. Well done and thankyou.
Thanks for the comments. I once approached pressurized CO2 with trepidation (after all, it's pressurized gas, it could explode, right? All kidding aside, it won't if you use it properly :icon_bigg), but after having done the research and gone through all the hoops, it's much simpler now.

This is gonna be stickied, right?
Ask the moderators ;)

#52 ·
Thanks for the comments. I once approached pressurized CO2 with trepidation (after all, it's pressurized gas, it could explode, right? All kidding aside, it won't if you use it properly ), but after having done the research and gone through all the hoops, it's much simpler now.
Great writeup! Very informative and very detailed.

Although extremely rare, i do think you should include the possible dangers associated with pressurized tanks. In early January, i was on my way home from the LFS with my first co2 cylinder, and it randomly (didn't bump it or anything) depressurized in the car as we were getting off the highway- leaving me with a very severe second degree burn on my right leg. I now have a pretty nasty scar that is a little bigger than 3"x3". We're still unsure of what caused it to depressurize.

While the chances of this happening are literally 1/10000+, i think it's important for people to know that these can be dangerous things to have in your home. Take all pre-caucions necessary to be safe.

Would i go back and get another cylinder? Probably, although now i'm a little frightened by them. I'd definitely keep it under a thick stainless steal box, LOL. Understandably, my parents don't like the idea of getting another (when they didn't even like the idea in the first place).

#55 ·
I just wanted to thank Darkblade48 for this writeup. While researching about CO2 systems and how they are applied to the aquarium hobby, my greatest obstacle was understanding what was I supposed to look for. This writeup has been of great help to me.

Thanks Darkblade48.

#57 ·
Awesome, Darkblade!

A fine resource for beginning pressurized, and a good review for those already doing it! I think you should reference your write-ups in your signature. Each that i've read (at least two) have been great.

#59 ·
This should be a sticky, really. There is no reason why it shouldn't be. It would have saved me a big headache if it was one.

Exactly what I was looking for! Complicated little things and pieces spelled out in an easy to understand format. Thanks Darkblade48! This really answered alot of questions!

#63 ·
#64 ·
tried reading through the replies and didn't notice anyone else mention...

You listed a bell diffuser as a means of dissolution, but you didn't add Misting (either via fractioning/needlewheel impellor pump, or via venturi) seems that it was more of a flash in the pan compared to the inline reactor, but certainly more popular than the bell diffusor at this point. :thumbsup:

#65 ·
First post:)
Darkblade thanks for the write up. Very informative.

One question though. I've been wanting to put my own regulator together myself, but the problem is I live in Japan. I noticed that you do as well. My Japanese is not that good and finding a regulator here is difficult, so all my research are for regulators back home. I was wondering if you or anyone else knows of an adapter to use a US regulator on the CO2 tanks here in Japan?

Thanks in advanced.

#75 ·
I was wondering if you or anyone else knows of an adapter to use a US regulator on the CO2 tanks here in Japan?
The adapter is to connect it to a 74 gram cartridge!! Why would you make an adapter for a full size regulator to a small canister, but not one for a full size can:/
I am not sure what the problem is. I thought you were looking for an adapter that would allow your US regulator with a CGA320 connector to fit the Japanese "Standard" (which is probably the strange 74 gram cartridge)?

Anyway they said that I would have to buy that adapter and another for a full size adapter. Do you think it would be an ok Idea to use two adapters for the regulator?
There should be no problem using multiple adapters.

I read somewhere on a Homebrew forum where an American stationed in Okinawa found an adapter, but he only gives directions there from his base, so they definitely exist.
Perhaps you should ask him where he managed to find his adapter?

#66 ·
Unfortunately, I had the same problem as you; I do not believe that you can purchase a US-Japanese adapter (at least not retail in Japan); the only luck I had was off a website, of which I longer have the URL, unfortunately...

#67 · (Edited)
I don't mind researching more and ordering an adapter from the US. If you have any leads or remember how you searched and found the website that would be awesome. I mean I've been searching all week and that's what lead me to your awesome tutorial. Or are you back in the states?

I may have just found an adapter:)
http://mizukusa.shop-pro.jp/?pid=15018711

now I just have to get a friend to verify this is what I need.

Actually found it on an English website for brewing beer in Japan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.