The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nitrates in tap water

9K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Daisy Mae 
#1 ·
Hello,

I live in london and am fed up with struggling with my nitrates. The tap water has between 30-40ppm. Between that and my slightly overstocked aquarium I can only get my nitrates down to a consistent 20ppm.

I hate the thought that every week i change the water and add more nitrates for my filter and plants to re-adjust. So today i went out and bought 14L of Sainsburys Basic still water (17p for 2L) and used that as my water change.
I did a test of course on the water and it has 0's across the board. I am hoping this works for me. I only have a 42L aquarium so this is financially viable for me to do every week.

Does anyone else do this or something similar?

I wish i had the space for an RO unit but its not possible at the moment. This will have to do...

#2 ·
I have the same issue and have to add RO water. It definitely helps!

#3 ·
I've heard of people using rainwater, they'll have big drums out in their garden and dip into that, don't know if you have the space or if the water would be safe since your in the city though :S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Would wonder what nitrate reading was by the end of the week before water change in the tank.
If it was much more than 40ppm, I would simply reduce/skip adding KNO3.
This is easy /inexpensive fix.
I would check to see what level's of nitrates were allowed in London.
The 30 to 40 ppm sound's a bit high from the tap.
Reduce stock,reduced feeding's, is another option to manage nitrates for those that have concern's.
Don't need to make thing's harder than they need to be yes??
Might also submit that unless nitrate test's are calibrated against known solution,that relying on their result's could be misleading.
Could easily have way more or way less than one might think.

#8 ·
I also live in UK , S-W part, and tap water has 40ppm in nitrates. Tried loads of things, even a Photos plant emerged with roots inside, still with a water change I introduced more nitrates..
The solution for me was buying an "pozzani nitrate filter" for 40£ from fleabay that has an easy connector that i attached to the shower and use it only for water changes. Lasts about 3-4 months with weekly water changes of about 30-40 litters/ change. After that the resin is getting depleted and you start getting about 10-15 nitrates out of it. Replacement cartridges are about 16£. During the period nitrates in tank 5-10ppm max.
Cheers !

#10 ·
I'm hoping this doesn't sound dumb, but does Purigen adsorb/absorb nitrates? Or just the organics that could turn into nitrates? Never used Purigen before but there was a lot of interest in it in another thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.