The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glossostigma elantinoides vs. Marsilea crenata

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ibn 
#1 ·
Thought you guys might want to check out how closely these two are in size grown under high light. Only difference being the growth rate. The Marsilea grows in twice as fast as the glosso (second time pulling the carpet out). I'm just redoing the foreground, so I thought that others might find this interesting.

Here are the two. The Marsilea is on the top.
http://img105.exs.cx/img105/1700/comparo.jpg

Here's a penny thrown in there for comparison.
http://img105.exs.cx/img105/9190/comparo2.jpg

#3 ·
I started out w/more Marsilea than the glosso, so that might be the case. After I trimmed down the Marsilea (sent off two sandwich bags of the stuff already), I had around the same amount of Marsilea as the glosso. The Marsilea hasn't stopped at all and tends to intrude upon the other foreground plants (reason why I had to redo it again...intruding on the E. parvulus this time around).

#5 ·
Yeah, just ever so slightly larger. It has changed a lot ever since I got it from laura. Used to be a four-leaf clover shape and about two inches tall.

I spent some time last night replanting the E. parvulus, M. crenata, glosso, and the H. callichtroides. I should have thrown the HC in there for comparison. :)

Probably should have since the only time I can take a decent picture is when the plants are out of the water....

#7 ·
IUnknown said:
I thought it was the other way around. My Marsilea tends to act more like slow growing plants, getting BBA on the older leaves. But my Marsilea carpet isn't that established compared to my glosso.
Same here. I started out with about a dozen Glosso plantlets vs about a 8 sq-in clump of Marsilea (thanks to Jeff Kropp) and my glosso has now taken over about 2/3 of the forground in my 125, overrunning my patches of Marsilea. Granted, the Marsilea is still growing up through the Glosso, but it's not even a close race in my tank!

#8 ·
Dunno why that's the case. My Marsilea has outgrown both the hairgrass and glosso hands down. I received a palm size amount of it from lbsfarms :proud: who was growing it in a low light tank. It really took off in my high light (10G w/72W) tank. It used to be 2" tall, but in high light, it grows shorter and makes a great foreground plant. I dose the tank pretty heavily w/micros (1ml of CSM/day) and that might be the case. I just moved it into the 90G and we'll see how it does in there.

I've been growing it in 76-78F, high CO2 (43 ppm) with high amounts of light and ferts. I'll be raising the temperature in the tank soon, so we'll see how it does in the 80s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.