The Planted Tank Forum banner

Excel

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hybridtheoryd16 
#1 ·
Will overdosing excell kill my otos and sae's...im having a real bad problem with brown cotton candy looking algae in my 90p. it looks like brown hair algae but when i remove it it is really slimy. its covering over 90 percent of my tank. i am doing water changes regularly and have put about 11 otos and 4 sae's. Im cutting down light but it doesn't seem to help.

now will overdosing excel kill my otos and sae's? ive also heard that it will melt my newly planted HC.

I was instructed by my lfs to dose 5 capfulls for 3 days then stop. any thoughts on this?

#2 ·
Overdosing Excel will kill a fair amount of things if you overdose by a lot.

It sounds like you have a very new setup. It sounds like the algae in question is diatoms. From what I've read so far (and what worked for me) is just to remove it manually for a while and it will clear up on its own. I think I had it for 2ish weeks then it pretty much just completely disappeared without any other changes.

If I remember correctly it is caused by excess silicates which I don't think is added back to the tank with normal use, so once the algae uses up all the silicates there is nothing left for it to feed on and it dies off.

#3 ·
Overdosing Excel will kill a fair amount of things if you overdose by a lot.

It sounds like you have a very new setup. It sounds like the algae in question is diatoms. From what I've read so far (and what worked for me) is just to remove it manually for a while and it will clear up on its own. I think I had it for 2ish weeks then it pretty much just completely disappeared without any other changes.

If I remember correctly it is caused by excess silicates which I don't think is added back to the tank with normal use, so once the algae uses up all the silicates there is nothing left for it to feed on and it dies off.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok that sounds logical. ill do that but i hope that it doesn't kill my HC cause its all over it and looks like its blocking the light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.