The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Tamelesstgr's 12 x 12 Cube Project
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
Tamelesstgr's 12 x 12 Cube Project

I found some cut pieces of glass I have been saving for years. The pieces had polished edges, and I only had to cut 1 piece of the 1/4" glass, so I ended up with a 11-1/2 x 12 x 14 (Sorta Cube). I must say, I really like the style of a cube rimless tank.

I read and re-read tank building journals so I decided why not give it a try. I positioned everything and had all the materials ready. I cleaned all the surfaces and started laying down beads of GE I. I was suprised how messy the process was, my main goal was just to seal the panes together. I let the tank cure for 1 week.

When I had some more time I then removed the inner bead and messy silicone from the outside of the glass. I wanted to avoid the large smearing seams in the corners, I wanted to try for the nice tight seam. Once I was done cleaning all the excess and had just a seam between panes and bottom, I filled it up. She held 7.5 gallons with the filter. It held water overnight so I was pretty happy.

The next step was to lay down a nice even small bead in the corners. This proved rather difficult, with not much space to work in I angled the caulk gun and laid a few small beads. 2 out of 4 were good, I had to redo 2. So after a few more days of curing I'm pretty happy with the result. So far I have $4 in this set up.

Here are a few pictures:

Set up and cut

Initial seams

Side Shot

Filter w/ Heater (Need to do a slight modification)

Possible Location
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome