5 Gallon Low Tech Setup - HELP NEEDED - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

5 Gallon Low Tech Setup - HELP NEEDED

Will apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong section. Long story short, the girlfriend decided that we needed some greenery in the apartment, and that the best way to go about getting it was with a small aquarium. She picked up this the other day on her way home from work https://www.bigalspets.ca/chi-aquari...n-2-5-gal.html and has been going on about how good it's going to look when it's full of plants. I really want to help her make this work but need some advice from you fine folks in order to pull it off. I've got a few main questions that I think I need answered. Firstly is the lighting. I'm almost 100% sure that the lighting in this kit will not be sufficient for plant growth. Am I wrong? I also have no idea where to look as far as good plants go. We're both relatively new to aquarium plants, so options that are hardy and affordable would be appreciated.

Any information I can get would be a great help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've not kept tah brand but Id on't think it will grow any decent plants.
If you want it easy you can do riparium style (roots in water leaves above) with house plants and jsut get a lamp with a 13 watt 6500k cfl bulb to grow them.
some easy riparium plants:
purple waffle
lucky bamboo (and other members of the Dracaena family)
dragone's tongue (related to purple waffle)
wadering jew
pothos
peace lily
dwarf palm (note: does not stay that dwarf: mines 24")
arrowhead plant
there's plenty more.I use these cheap $2 shower caddies as planters

If you want to do aquatic (underwater) plants some other light options include the deep blue solar flare 6700kmicro (suction cup light) or some small clip on LED lights. The desk lamp with cfl mentioned above is still a possibility.

Knowing your girl's taste would help with plants there are several easy ones like anubias and java fern or buce -rhizome based plant (rhizome is horizontal part that leaves and roots grow from) DO NOT BUY RHIZOME, instead gently tie to driftwood/rock/decor. Mosses (tons of options) tie down and they will anchor with roots over time. Crypts, vals, and stem plants (some easy stem beginners are water sprite and wisteria, ancharis, and hornwort.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

She is wanting an aquatic planted aquarium. More than likely will have very few fish (probably a betta, maybe a few otto's)

As far as the desk lamp goes, anything that can support that sort of bulb will work correct?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode