125 walstad setup advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

125 walstad setup advice

Hello everyone about a year ago I setup a 125 with a dirt bottom capped with gravel and I had 4 32watt t8s and the tank thrived for a little but then it all went down hill don't know what happened never got any algea plants just started to die. I wonder if it's because I didn't have enough light or if I had too much light for that type of setup (low tech low maintance) I've had great success with a 10 gallon walstad with 2 spiral 10watt cfls with no water changes only top offs which is about a gallon over the course of two weeks. Well i plan on making the tanks over again if for the 125 I didn't have enough light would 4 T5HOs 4ft centered over the 125 work better? Of just add 2 more T8s since I already have that canopy. Thanks to all for the input in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would add a couple more T-8s, since you already have the canopy set up that way.

I run 4 x 32 watts of T-8 over tanks from 45-72 gallons (all are 4' long).
To spread out that light over a 6' long tank would leave it a bit too low light, I think.

The way I set up my 125 (6' long) was to alternate the 4' long bulbs left and right so the center has more light, and the ends have less, but it worked well, until I added some plant-eating fish. :-(
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I would add a couple more T-8s, since you already have the canopy set up that way.

I run 4 x 32 watts of T-8 over tanks from 45-72 gallons (all are 4' long).
To spread out that light over a 6' long tank would leave it a bit too low light, I think.

The way I set up my 125 (6' long) was to alternate the 4' long bulbs left and right so the center has more light, and the ends have less, but it worked well, until I added some plant-eating fish. :-(
Yea the 4 bulbs that I had I had with 2 to the right and 2 to the left like you said but everything started to die. Don't know why I was thinking not enough light how long did You have your plants growing before the fish ate them?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Planted Member

What plant species did you have? Some simply won't do well in low-tech setups.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
What plant species did you have? Some simply won't do well in low-tech setups.
I had java Moss which was floating mid tank tied down with a rock swords and water westira luwidga repens and some crypts also anubius nana then everything started developing like dark spots but doesn't look like any algea and they just stop growing when I get home I will post a pic Of the tank in general and of the different plants

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 AM
Algae Grower

For walstad method, you need plants that feeds almost exclusively through their roots. Lighting isn't the problem.

Most stem plants wouldn't thrive in without water-column dosing. For ludwigia, you would see the plant growing very tall but lower leaves will rot and you end up with a large, tall stem with only leaves at the top. Sometimes even the stem rot.

Plants that will do well would be heavy root feeders like swords, crypts, vals, dwarf sags, bulb plants, and a few specific stem plants. Anubias will be fine.
Consider not having high light since walstad is meant to be steady, slow growing. Medium is suffice. Also weekly water changes 20-50% will replenish natural minerals in tap water, helps keeping leaves healthier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode