Help needed about Cabomba - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Help needed about Cabomba

I have a good size cabomba which never reached more than 25 cm in height and the stems are tall but resting sideways. I was not worrying about it because it seems healthy and bushy but now the upper part of the stem is also turning downwards! I need advice please. I have leds which are on for 6 hours. All other plants are doing fine which includes ; amazon swords, bacopa caroliniana, asian ambulia, water sprite etc. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/ICRANCHU/embed/Mobile%20Uploads/story"></iframe>

I am trying to post pics of it for some more detail, but cannot manage! Sorry.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone can help me out please? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place but I am new to plants and new on this forum. Anyone experienced this before?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Algae Grower

they are look nice, very healthy... i suggest to cut tops and replant, to make it even more bushy )
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had some stems that would do that if they got too close to the outflow of my AquaClear because it shoots the water straight down.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:22 PM
Planted Member

Would second what keymastr said, that looks like water flow causing it to bend down, is there any flow off the glass back there?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi, and thanks for your replies. The outlet is not that strong and neither close to it, it is around 2 feet from the filter outlet but still this can be my issue! Yesterday I pruned it and planted some cuttings at the other side of my tank where there is much less current so I will see how they grow in there. I also came across an article that says that only few success was made with leds on cabomba and I hope that this is not my problem! Anyone here has had success with cabomba and leds?
All my other plants are doing fine.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It maybe the intensity of the light which makes the plant not growing upward, which can be interesting.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Curmi View Post
Hi, and thanks for your replies. The outlet is not that strong and neither close to it, it is around 2 feet from the filter outlet but still this can be my issue! Yesterday I pruned it and planted some cuttings at the other side of my tank where there is much less current so I will see how they grow in there. I also came across an article that says that only few success was made with leds on cabomba and I hope that this is not my problem! Anyone here has had success with cabomba and leds?
All my other plants are doing fine.
I have purple cabomba under led and it grows very well. Im not sure if there is much of a difference between the green and purple.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks fairly normal to me. Cabomba is a crazy plant.

When stems are planted bunched up close together, they grow outwards in a non competing manner with one another. Looks like what's going on here. Appears to be healthy so I wouldnt worry about it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Planted Member

I too have purple cabomba. I've never found it to be too demanding to simply grow, if left alone within two or three weeks my stems get 3 to 4 feet long. Getting them to achieve full color is a different story though.

I think for your bunch I might thin the group out. That may help then grow up instead out out to the sides.

Add a custom signature
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your help. As from what I can understand from your replies, I think that 2 things are causing this, which are the intensity of my leds and the second is because I planted them in two bunches since I am new on plants. I will try and plant the stems separetly and see from there. I will try to post pics of my tank's progress so you can see how it grew.

Bump:

Bump:
LinaS likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

Your tank looks pretty healthy, I'd be happy with what you've achieved.

Starting small, keeping it simple.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I am trying to plant some asian ambulia behind the cabomba now so it hides the black background. The Ambulia does not seems to find any problem to reach the top in my tank :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode