20g Long Planted - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can, by all means, do PWC. I'm just stating that you can do it just about any way you want. There is a lot of gray in the hobby despite what you may hear.

The bacteria colony you are growing does not live in open water, so water changes really only affect their food source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well gees I spoke too soon literally happened overnight. Gonna dose it one more time to make sure it 0's out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14465059405801225554542_1446505951023.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	538842  

post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to KundofoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
This is my tank today. Grabbed some newer more porous sponge prefilters for the intake. Removed the bubble wand crap and changed it to two smaller sand stone bubblers set in the back corners. Got a couple bunches of wisteria and I don't know the plant in the far right next to the anubias. I also filled the water level up to the brim, about a couple millimeters from overflowing.
The plant next to your anubias is anacharis.

post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KundofoX View Post
The plant next to your anubias is anacharis.
Ah. Thank you very much. I will add it to my spreadsheet that I've been keeping on my tank keeping. Looks like ammonia levels and nitrite levels are going down accordingly. I added some ammonia the night before to make sure its completely cycled. One thing im worried about is my PH level is at the highest it can go on the PH High test. I think I can us RO water to lower it a bit? Aside from chemical additives, what can i do to lower the PH a bit to acceptable levels. Acceptable to me is being able to keep Neon tetras, Tiger barbs, Harlequin rasboras and some RCS. I will add them a few at a time.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Ah. Thank you very much. I will add it to my spreadsheet that I've been keeping on my tank keeping. Looks like ammonia levels and nitrite levels are going down accordingly. I added some ammonia the night before to make sure its completely cycled. One thing im worried about is my PH level is at the highest it can go on the PH High test. I think I can us RO water to lower it a bit? Aside from chemical additives, what can i do to lower the PH a bit to acceptable levels. Acceptable to me is being able to keep Neon tetras, Tiger barbs, Harlequin rasboras and some RCS. I will add them a few at a time.
I'd do a 50% water change with either RO or Distilled water to bring down the pH. You could also tag a pantyhose, fill it with peat, and put that into the HOB. Those are two methods (besides adding driftwood) that you can do right now.

"Personally, I would be delighted if there was a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out." ~Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"I can't tell you how many people say they were turned off from science because of a science teacher that completely sucked out all the inspiration and enthusiasm they had for the course." ~Neil deGrasse Tyson.
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ended up changing out about 80% of the water and waited about half a day to stock my tank with fish. Out of sheer newbness, I mixed some fish with tiger barbs and quickly learned that tiger barbs are aggressive. So now I have a tiger barb only tank. My PH levels went down to around 7.6 after everything was said and done. The tank has a lot of algae growing, so i recently purchased some flourish excel to dose/treat the algae problem. I'm using less dosage as directed cause I've read bad things about overdosing with excel.

Tiger barbs are pretty awesome little fish btw. They tend to follow me when I'm in front of the tank like they know they will get fed soon. I have 3 juvenile Albino tigers, 3 juvenile Green tigers and 5 regular tiger barbs. oh and a couple ghost shrimp that's been surviving fairly well under my little patch of java moss.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 AM

Cool tank. In about to do a 20 gallon long as well. Update with pictures when the plants grow more. I might use yours as a template
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
Cool tank. In about to do a 20 gallon long as well. Update with pictures when the plants grow more. I might use yours as a template
Thanks. I'll post an update pic soon. I've got so much algae in the tank right now, kinda sucks trying to get rid of it. I think i had too much nutrients in there, was dosing flourish daily at about 8 drops a day. I've cut back on the Flourish and am now dosing Excel daily. About 1ml dosage.
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is that Java fern in the back left? If so, it shouldn't be "planted" in the soil. It will rot/die. Rhizome needs to be above the gravel.
Cheers

post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea I read up and moved the plants around and have added more. Good ol' aquabid. Anyway this is my tank as of now. Fighting bba, well not really, kinda just letting do its own thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151127_171109_1448666061237.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	551425  

BettaBettas likes this.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

You said you had a 20-long but that to me looks higher then 12+" so hard to tell in photos without reference lol.

Reason I ask is because I am doing a 33-Long and looking at the stingray and wanted to know how you found the light at that height from substrate.

I've come full circle...is that good or bad?
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea its a 20 long with a 30" stingray. I'll try to post better pics. Its cut off on the left side.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I just did a search on this forum for low tech lighting. There are other options besides the finnex stingray. For the price, its not bad.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would NOT let the BBA do its thing..its thing is to keep spreading! Spot treat it with h2o2 while you can stay on top of it!

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...=view&id=27121
++++++++++++++++++++
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
I would NOT let the BBA do its thing..its thing is to keep spreading! Spot treat it with h2o2 while you can stay on top of it!
I've been doing the Excel method. It's helping remove some of the BBA. I also do manual scrubbing (with a toothbrush) and WC right after. I feel like i should do more than this but oh well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode