The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low tech light!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  frenchie1001 
#1 ·
Hey dudes, I've done a heap of searching but can't find a good answer.

I have a 55gal, with mostly swords and crypts. Sand base with root tabs. Monthly water changes

Finnix planted plus, or a current satellite +

What would you do?

Cheers.

#2 ·
I have a 60 gallon that has a planted+ about 22 inches or so from the substrate where the crypts are. It's definitely low lighting at that depth but enough for the crypts. I am not certain it will be enough for swords. I don't have any swords (Echinodorus) myself but from what I know they're typically medium-high light, though I'm sure it varies based on the exact type you have.

#3 ·
Possible to end up/w algae from a Planted+. Someone on here has one on a 75g and
they say you need injected CO2/w it at that height to keep the algae out.
I suspect it could be done/w lots of faster growing plants and good current without the
injected CO2. The 75g is 20" tall. A dimmer switch in an extension cord which you plug the fixture into will solve any potential problem/w that without voiding the warranty of the fixture.

#4 ·
Finnex planted plus would be fine for low tech tank and plant's that don't NEED a lot of light.
Would swap out sword plant's for Anubia that can grow large albeit slowly.
Anubia Barteri grow's fairly large over time, and leaves can rival the large leaves of sword plant's.
Could take a year or two for the anubia to produce desired effect, and few have this kind of patience.

Bump:

I, run one Finnex planted plus, along with current satellite planted plus on low tech 80 gal for eight hour's a day.
Neither by itself I don't think from my experience would place one in high light range.
Maybe medium.
Poor front to back of tank spread for either by themselves, but for the 55 gal the OP mentioned that is only twelve inches front to back,, the finnex planted plus would be medium light in my experience with a couple month's observation's in my own tank's.
Certainly nothing to induce algae on it's own in my view.

#5 ·
Thank you roadmaster.
"I, run one Finnex planted plus, along with current satellite planted plus on low tech 80 gal for eight hour's a day.
Neither by itself I don't think from my experience would place one in high light range.
Maybe medium."
I was hoping for "other people" to add to what I read on here already.
One person who said it could be an algae issue and I really don't know the number of
hrs he was running it or what plants he had.
If the tank had just a few slower growing plants like mine does and long hrs that may have caused him an issue/w algae.

#6 ·
I think so also.
My 80 gal is a little deeper than 75 gal on paper,but my substrate was /is fairly deep in anticipation of a couple of large Echinodorus I purchased a few month's ago.(prolly closer to depth of a 75 gal)
Even medium light for too long in my view, can cause issues in non CO2 tank's.
I refuse to fight algae anymore, and pretty much know what amount of light I can use in my tank's to avoid the stuff.(Much trial and error)
Someone else may have better luck,or not so much.
Can only offer my own Two cent's.
Is exactly what confused me for too long,more than a few opinion's/experience's to weigh/ponder on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.