The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plants for my low tech/nano cube

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Daisy Mae 
#1 ·
There's a great list here on the site for plants that do well under low light. Is there also a list of plants that do well in a non-filtered tank - one where there is no water movement?

I'm going to be starting a small nano cube, 8x8x8, and I'm still deciding on how to design it. I'm also beginning to look for all the components. Another thing I'm trying to figure out is the science of this type of environment. It's that balance between low-light, plants, fish-invertebrates and substrate that all go into making it a balanced nano tank.

Every once in a while I'll go into a nursery or a pet store and they will have a half wine barrel or aquarium tucked away in a corner that's filled with water and has norhing but some plants and a few fish running around in it and besides the fact that there is no filtration, the water is very clear. This is what I want to achieve.

#3 ·
I would be having ocassional water changes. I've decided to use my female betta as the sole resident of this aquarium. Possibly a small snail that isn't destructive, but that's it. She doesn't like shrimp of any kind and usually attacks them.

I'm sort of new to water water plants...Sags and crypts? What are the full scientific names of these - The exact ones you've had good luck with.

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.