How large should the 'Cleaning Crew' be? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How large should the 'Cleaning Crew' be?

30 gallon long. 1.75 W/G. Currently my crew consist of 3 oto cats and 5 ghost shrimp. Is that enough? Too much?

Feedback appreciated as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

I don't know about "should" but I have 6 pygmy cories, 3 otos, 3 amanos and however many zillions of RCS as clean-up crew in my 30g.

I think it depends on how the tank looks too. Is there lots of gunk you have to syphon off the bottom? Algae growing faster than the Otos can eat it or does their food need to be supplemented as it is?

30g Low Tech Journal, 5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
1 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
8 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Algae Grower

my 2 ottos handled my 20 gallon high admirably

when i added my dwarf shrimp, i realized.. the dwarf shrimps werent needed anymore but added them anyway
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got home tonight to discover one of my otos was dead. Noticed last night that one would eat and then swim to the top extremely fast, then retun to eating. Don't know if that's the one that died, but it seams likely. No erratic behavior or signs of stress from any of the others. Nitrates and Nitrites are barely measurable with my cheap test kit(dip and compare colors). I'll get a better one tomorrow.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 AM
Planted Member

You need to look at the cleaning crew as a dynamic number. A tank that has a lot of algae will require a lot of algae eating animals. A tank that has no algae - much less.

The best algae eating animal there is so far is the Amano shrimp. They can handle virtually all types of algae (including Cladophora and BBA) IF the number of shrimp corresponds to the algae infestation.

Here's an example, from personal observation:
200 Amano shrimp in a 25 gallon tank will completely eat a Cladophora mat that is 2" thick in about 3-4 days.

Of course stuffing 200 Amanos in a 25 gallon tank is a pretty ugly sight. It's also crazy to put so many animals in such small volume. We import rare fish and shrimp so we take great care of the tanks. It takes a lot of effort to maintain so many animals in such a small volume. But my point is that it seems that no algae is safe if the number of algae eating animals is appropriate.

Otos and SAEs are "old school" algae eaters. They are not very effective. Look for the newly imported gobies, Red Lizards, Neritina snails, and Garras. Stiphodon and Syciopterus are the genuses of the gobies that will eat dust algae and BBA.

--Nikolay
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

It's normal for Otos (as with most other catfish) to rush to the surface for air on a regular basis. Helps them regulate their buoyancy in the water.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Otos and SAEs are "old school" algae eaters. They are not very effective. Look for the newly imported gobies, Red Lizards, Neritina snails, and Garras. Stiphodon and Syciopterus are the genuses of the gobies that will eat dust algae and BBA.

--Nikolay

+1 on all of that, I'm not a fan of SAE's at all but love Nerite snails to death. I'll be setting up a breeding tank for them soon.

By 'Red Lizards' do you mean the Whiptail L-10A? I haven't seen that one yet I'll have to look around.

- Brad

Proud member of the Heart of America Aquarium Society and the International Betta Congress

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
By 'Red Lizards' do you mean the Whiptail L-10A? I haven't seen that one yet I'll have to look around.

- Brad
Check out Invertz Factory.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Many plants...little time

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 AM
Algae Grower

Somewhat of a necro, but does anyone have issues with Amano leaving the tank? Mine's open-top and the last time I got ghost shrimp we found em all over the floor.

Missus has forbidden shrimp of any type until i can prove they won't take the leap of glory...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldweasel View Post
Somewhat of a necro, but does anyone have issues with Amano leaving the tank? Mine's open-top and the last time I got ghost shrimp we found em all over the floor.

Missus has forbidden shrimp of any type until i can prove they won't take the leap of glory...
Yup, IME Amanos are the worst about "going on walkabout"

Cherry shrimp aren't as bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode