The Planted Tank Forum banner

Unknown Problem With Pygmy Chain Sword

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Clear Water 
#1 ·
What's wrong with this plant? Specifically browing of some leaves and probably slow growth. Might be specific to this plant. I have Root Tabs under most of them. This one is doing the worst:

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
No, I'm not using Excel, but thanks for the thought.

I had an idea, though. Maybe I need some Root Tabs under the plants - they're supposed to be big root feeders. I'm going to put some under all of the plants that are having problems. I didn't have a chance to work on the tank today, but I can tomorrow. I bought a new API Master Test Kit, too - the one I had had run out of the nitrate test.

#7 · (Edited)
About a week has gone by since my last post and the Pygmies are looking a little bit better. They seem to like the shade, although I have heard otherwise from other people - that they can do either. Meanwhile they have shoots going around half the tank. It's like, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

There is algae growing on the back panes of the tank. I finally realized that there is some significant light coming from the windows. So I put the lights back up to max height and I'm shortening the photoperiod and see how that goes.

Excel? I have a friend with a lot of experience with planted tanks who vehemently opposes the use of Excel, but many people seem to be using it. Maybe it's the composition of Excel and maybe the melting of certain plants. There's enough doubt in my mind to not use it. I wish there was a similar product that I could really trust. Carbon is the limiting factor in low-tech planted tanks.

#8 ·
Excel? I have a friend with a lot of experience with planted tanks who vehemently opposes the use of Excel, but many people seem to be using it. Maybe it's the composition of Excel and maybe the melting of certain plants. There's enough doubt in my mind to not use it. I wish there was a similar product that I could really trust. Carbon is the limiting factor in low-tech planted tanks.[/QUOTE]

I would listen to your friend advise.

As far melting I have not seen it but I have seen a lot less algae.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.