Super-low tech 20H - New Fish! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
Hoping Diana Walstad was right in Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, she says an unnderlayer of potting soil should last for 8 years or so before giving up all its nutrients (for those of you that have the book, its pg. 140). If that's the case, the plants shouldn't be deficient in anything major for quite a while. I guess only time will tell.

I see your point and agree - time will tell. Not to pitt one against the other but Tom Barr recommends water column fertilization to extend the life of any substrate or sediment. I cannot speak for him but I doubt he would agree with any sediment having a 8 year life expectancy without water column dosing. I guess it depends on who you believe and the best way to find out is to try both methods over the same period of time to see what happens. However, if I am not mistaken I believe that the substrate with a Natural Planted Tank is alleged to build up enough mulm over the long run with is believed to sufficiently provide sufficient nutrients for the plants to continue to grow. IMHO, a very low light tank with very low light plants, few if any deep root feeders(crytocornes, swords) and no c02, there would be very little or no strain on the sediment as far as nutrient uptake goes, so I can see the sediment supporting the plants for 8 years. However, your tank is different. I am not saying it will not work, but it will interesting to see how the tank progresses. By the way, what specific brand topsoil or potting soil did you use for this setup??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
By the way, what specific brand topsoil or potting soil did you use for this setup??
I used Fertilome Seedling and Cutting Starter. A friend who helped me with the design of the tank found an article somewhere saying that seedling/cutting starter soils were best for aquatic plants. I guess they have finer sediments, making it easier for aquatic plants to take root and stay rooted, rather than float away. Its worked well so far and I've used the same stuff in every other tank I've set up.

I guess I mixed in a little Greensand with the soil. It supposedly slowly releases Potassium over a long time, according to the package.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O
Lego's Comprehensive Grow List - From Acorus to Zephyranthes
New 40 Breeder Scape --- Low Tech 20H
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #18 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
I used Fertilome Seedling and Cutting Starter. A friend who helped me with the design of the tank found an article somewhere saying that seedling/cutting starter soils were best for aquatic plants. I guess they have finer sediments, making it easier for aquatic plants to take root and stay rooted, rather than float away. Its worked well so far and I've used the same stuff in every other tank I've set up.

I guess I mixed in a little Greensand with the soil. It supposedly slowly releases Potassium over a long time, according to the package.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
post #19 of 123 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Been a while since an update, so here you go.

Me and my horrible photography skills. Anyway, I must say it looks a lot better than the last pictures. I trimmed the Lotus and Rotala back hard and added some Ludwigia repens x arcuata and floating Hydrocotyle leucocephela. You can't see them, but there are sprigs of Hygrophila polysperma "Rosanervig" all over the place now too.

I clipped off most all of the floating leaves of the Lotus and it sent up mostly the submersed leaves. I think it looks a lot better this way.

The Glowlights just had to be in the picture. They're anything but camera-shy.

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #20 of 123 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower

Nice colors you got going there. It's really interesting reading all the different ways people are successful in planted aquariums. If there is one thing that scares new people away from planted tanks, it's the complexity. I think low tech cuts a lot of that complexity out and allows for people to be successful with less work.
post #21 of 123 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow!! I wish I could do this.

What is your Gh, Kh, and nitrates?

How much was the Fertilome Seedling and Cutting Starter substrate?
post #22 of 123 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Wow!! I wish I could do this.

What is your Gh, Kh, and nitrates?

How much was the Fertilome Seedling and Cutting Starter substrate?
Thanks!

Honestly, I haven't tested my gH and kH since...forever . My guess is that it is fairly soft because of the soil underlayer and driftwood, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I only test my nitrates right before my every-six-months water change and they have never topped out over 15ppm. pH is right at 7, also.

The Fertilome soil, which I only used half of, cost me like $5.50. You can find it at any gardening store. Awesome stuff, but the only downside is that it turns your tank into chocolate milk every time you pull a plant.

post #23 of 123 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice!

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #24 of 123 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The Fertilome soil, which I only used half of, cost me like $5.50. You can find it at any gardening store. Awesome stuff, but the only downside is that it turns your tank into chocolate milk every time you pull a plant.
How long does that last?

I get a similar reaction with my substrate that has kitty litter mixed in. It only last a day. I clear up by using an extra filter and Nutrifin's clear.
post #25 of 123 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

It usually clears up by itself in an hour or so, but you have to blow off a lot of particles that settle on the plants. It's not too bad, it just looks nasty for a bit.

It's something I'm willing to tolerate if it means better plant growth

post #26 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Here's another update. Not much has changed, but I pulled the Green Ozelot Sword. It was getting too big for the tank and the bottom leaves were starting to get warped and twisted due to lack of space to spread. So I replaced it with a couple of Florida Sunset Crypts and am still waiting for them to grow in.

FTS

Cryptocoryne wendtii "Florida Sunset"

Check out the Curviceps peeking out from behind the plants. He's so cute .

And that's it. I tested the nitrates just for the heck of it, four months since a water change. They barely registered at all on the API Liquid test kit. I love low-tech tanks

post #27 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

I am hoping my 20 gallon low tech looks this good when it grows out a bit. We are using the same light, although you have a soil substrate. Something to look forward too!
post #28 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Wow this is very inspirational! My 20H is in a sad state visually, the water is stable and the fish are happy, but the plants look a mess and i've been trying to motivate myself to tackle it and redo it, this might just be the inspiration and motivation i need!

Beautiful tank!

I'm a low tech gal myself, and I definitely agree with you on LOVING it!

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #29 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

Say, what's the wattage on that T-5 fixture?

WWTBD
post #30 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead Cory View Post
Say, what's the wattage on that T-5 fixture?
About wattage the wpg rule is based on T12 bulbs.

After viewing Trallen44 low light tank, here, I am beginning to think that the photons from the bulbs is more important than the wattage. I am doing an experiment to verify this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode