3 Gallon Low Tech ADA Aquasoil II Experimental Tank ***Mar 09 Update - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Thanks. I was comparing the trimmed Ludwiga Repens to the Ludwig Repens growing in my 40 gallon high tech tank(water column dosing of ferts), with all the bells, toys, and whistles. Quite honestly and as near as I can see, there is literally no difference between the both in terms of leave shape, size, and coloration. Although too early to say for sure, Ludwiga Repens looks like a good stem plant for low tech tanks with no c02.
I had it growing good in my 55 at one point, then things went south. But I am going to try again with the new rescape. I hope they do as good as they are in this tank. I think with the few things I am changing they should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

any updates to share with us yet?

What would Honey Badger do?
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
any updates to share with us yet?
I like to provide updates every 3 months which I believe gives the best indication of progress good or bad, so next pictorial update will be around June 14 2009.

I can give a non-pictorial update.

The cardamine lyrata pretty much died and went south. Like vultures, the cherry shrimp feasted on what little there was left. Also, much to my surprise one of the anubias rhizomes literally melted. The rhizome was not buried and I have never seen anything like it before. The leaves were all lush green so it was not dieing or anything. The pygme chain sword, rotala indica and ludwiga repens are growing slowly but still doing well. With the way the pygme chain sword and dwarf sag(which I added later) grew, I know those are two plants I would never use in a 3 gallon nano again. The cherry shrimp continue to reproduce like crazy. Every day I notice new shrimplets. The otocat is healthy and alive and continues to do well. The tank remains 100% algae free.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
next pictorial update will be around June 14 2009.

well... how's it going?

What would Honey Badger do?
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
well... how's it going?
X2 Please
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Also, much to my surprise one of the anubias rhizomes literally melted. The rhizome was not buried and I have never seen anything like it before. The leaves were all lush green so it was not dieing or anything.

I've seen that happen in one of my tanks and in another persons tank before it is strange. I chalked it up to not getting enough of some micro nutrient since I couldn't come up with a real answer.

Glad to know it's not just me.

- Brad

Proud member of the Heart of America Aquarium Society and the International Betta Congress

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Unhappy

Quote:
well... how's it going?
My apologies to all. I have not had much of a chance to log on or post as I was in the midst of a reflooring job in my condo and am still recovering from the major fall out. It is funny how you don't really realize how much junk you have collected over the years until you have to clear space/declutter. I am in the process of decluttering my whole home as it is pretty cluttered right now. It has been a real challenge leaving little time for much else. I packed the stupid camera and cannot find it. It will be some time before I can locate it and start posting updated pictures.

FWIW, the tank has literally exploded with growth and it is all.....Dwarf Sag. It isn't pretty though. It looks like a lawn that is overgrown with grass and in need of some serious mowing. On the positive side the sole otocat and cherry shrimp still appear to be healthy and reproducing like crazy. I learned that even in a small tank like a 3 gallon, it is pretty easy to get rapid plant growth. More important though, I learned that with a 3 gallon you really have to be careful with the plants you select. I would never again choose dwarf sag for a 3 gallon. The plant is like a parasite. Heck, even in my 40 gallon it is totally taking over the tank and squeezing out the other plants.

On that note, I have 2 emersed setups going which are doing extremely well. A 5 gallon with dwarf hairgrass, bacopa, and cryptocorne lutea and another 3 gallon with HC, and rotala indica. Both tanks were going to get pygme anubias once the rock and branch placement was put in. Sadly though with everything going on, I have yet to flood these tanks and they are long over due for major flooding and submersion. It is interesting to see how well the rotala is doing emersed. It looks totally different from its submersed form. What is really interesting to note is how well the dwarf hairgrass emersed has rooted into the aquasoil. You can literally see an increasing amount of white roots that are becoming more and more visible as time goes on. The root density is to the point that when you look at the substrate, the white roots are more visible underneath the substrate than the substrate itself. Once I flood the 3 gallon, I plan to transfer the shrimp(whichever I can catch) and the otocat from the previous 3 gallon into this one. The tank will also get a pressurized c02 paintball hookup, continued lighting with the Hampton Bay 26 watt clone lamp, and daily dosing of excel, Estimative Index Dosing at 1/4 of the recommended.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I believe a 9 litre bag should be enough for a 20 gallon tank.
Is that 20 gallon high or long?
How deep is the substrate?
How high is the water?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode