10 Gallon Journal - "Betta Haven", my first planted tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the compliments and comments guys. Sorry for not replying earlier, grad school has been killing me these last couple of months!

Will, I do agree that the bettas do throw the scale off, but as much as I love planted tanks and aquascaping, my betta girls come first =). This tank was specifically made for them and I made sure to give them tonnes of hiding places and nooks and crannies to explore and they seem to be really happy in here.

@Sticky230: Yep, the cheapo hoods with spiral CFLs work quite well for small tanks. One thing I will say though is that the lights don't seem to penetrate down to the substrate very well so they aren't well suited for 'high' types of tanks which would probably benefit from T5s.

As for updates regarding the tank, I've moved it again to my final new place (I had to move it to a friends place for 2 weeks while I was in between leases). I'm relieved that the tank is still in one piece and the fish and plants are doing great. I have completely backed off with the Excel dosing and have now converted the tank into a complete low-tech tank which won't be having any water changes. The plants are still doing well although growth is a lot slower.

The anubias and java ferns are sending out quite a few leaves and the rotalas and bacopa are growing very slowly but steadily. I had some issues with GSA growing on some of the unshaded Anubias and Java ferns. I fixed the problem for the most part by switching my lighting down to 2x10Watts of CFL. I'll post updated pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice tank!

I love the low tech methods.

Are the 10w bulbs your using now spiral(pigtail) or tube shaped or U-shaped?

10G planted/New 55G planted and running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
VICTOR PIMP #9 VTS-253A-1993
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Sounds like all is well with the tank, glad to hear the plants and betta girls are doing well despite the double move!

Can't wait to see updated pics

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The current 10watt bulbs are screw-in U shaped bulbs although I had been using spiral bulbs previously (15watt and 20 watts during emersed growth). I might actually switch these 10watt bulbs to spirals since I don't like the 5100K color temp on my current bulbs. I'd prefer going to 6500K.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 PM

Gorgeous tank. It's amazing it's your first one. This is pretty inspiring, as I'm just getting started with a 10 gallon.

Looking forward to the updates.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well you guys convinced me to quit being lazy and take some pics . Here is a FTS along with a couple of macros of my betta girls. As you can see, the Java fern has been doing really well as has the anubias. The stems are growing, but pretty slowly and the background still looks quite messy. I'm still focussing on propagating the stems till I have more. Then I'll go ahead and try to scape with them.

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not only is your tank incredible, but your photography is as well. Im amazed that you can get such great pictures of your fish!! what type of camera do you use and what settings because i want one!!!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

Hello,

Your tank looks amazing. It really filled out well. The java ferns really adds to the height of the tank. I really should have done the emerge method to fill out the middle and foreground in the beginning like you did. I saw the article on Tom Barrs website but I was too impatient and wanted to get things planted and filled ASAP. Hahahaha.

Your fish tank shots looks great btw. Do you have a male betta in the tank and if so do you plan on trying to breed them? I have one male betta but he is very timid which I find odd. He tends to hide most of the time in the plants at the bottom of the tank.

Can't wait to see more updates soon.

- Hung
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Not only is your tank incredible, but your photography is as well. Im amazed that you can get such great pictures of your fish!! what type of camera do you use and what settings because i want one!!!
I actually borrowed my roommates Canon Powershot S3 IS for taking these pics. It has an amazing supermacro mode for taking pictures up to 0cm focal length (meaning you can have the lens pressed right against your subject. Most of these pics were taken in Manual mode, using the Super macro feature and playing with the focus and distance of the lens from the glass (I was pressed right up against the tank). It takes a lot of patience and tons of crappy pics before you get some nice ones

I would highly recommend the S3 IS, I own the S1 IS which is nice but lacks in the ability to take good macro pictures. If you'd like to take some good pics and get into photography but cant yet justify the cost of full fledged DSLRs then it is a great camera to try. Also, I wouldn't get the S5 IS and would stick to the S3. The S5 went up in megapixels without really using a larger CCD sensor which results at more noise at similar ISO levels as compared to the S3.

I hope that helps. I'm no expert at photography although I like messing with my camera and try to take nicely composed photographs
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungtran10 View Post
Hello,

Your tank looks amazing. It really filled out well. The java ferns really adds to the height of the tank. I really should have done the emerge method to fill out the middle and foreground in the beginning like you did. I saw the article on Tom Barrs website but I was too impatient and wanted to get things planted and filled ASAP. Hahahaha.

Your fish tank shots looks great btw. Do you have a male betta in the tank and if so do you plan on trying to breed them? I have one male betta but he is very timid which I find odd. He tends to hide most of the time in the plants at the bottom of the tank.

Can't wait to see more updates soon.

- Hung
Haha, I hear you man. I had to wait almost 2 whole months before I submerged my tank...that was really painful! In retrospect though I wouldn't have done it any other way. To grow out such a lovely hairgrass foreground, especially in a low-tech tank like mine would have been extremely hard, if not impossible.

As for the fish, they are all female bettas. Males shouldn't be kept with other males or females (except when breeding) as they are very aggressive towards others of their species. The girls are pretty fiesty too and it takes some effort to get a 'sorority' betta tank up and running. Having lots of plants and hiding places along with a fair number of them (6+) helps diffuse tensions and prevents them from fighting (Except for the occasional nipped fins).
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

Are you planning on adding more fish species or inverts?

- Hung

My 55 gallon low tech now hi tech tank: Check it out!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ut-now-hi.html

My photography collection:

http://hungtran.zenfolio.com/
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Lush tank! Great hairgrass! Wonderful girls!

Just keeping on keeping on....

95g Rimless

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungtran10 View Post
Are you planning on adding more fish species or inverts?

- Hung
Well the tank is pretty much fully stocked if not a tad bit over stocked. I have 6 betta girls as well as 3 otos in there. I don't really think I have room for any more. I guess I could get away with adding a couple more since the tanks is so lush, but I think 6 girls seems to be working pretty well.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Algae Grower

Wow - your hard work and research has really paid off! Lovely tank.
(I can remember you starting over from posts on a different forum.)

Kylie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode