Needing algae advice! - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Needing algae advice!

Hey all. I have a relatively newish 55 gallon tank. Full stock (rainbows, angel, neons, danios). AquaClear 110 filter + Aqueon circulating pump. Planted of course. So for the first time ever I'm having a serious issue with green spot algae. It's all over the rocks and the plants and no matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of it! I do not run CO2 but I do a double dose of excel daily and a weekly dose of flourish comprehensive. I also use root tabs. Plant growth has seemed to slow down since the algae has appeared and now I have no idea what to do next? I tried lower lights (only 8 hours a day using Finnex fuge ray planted - 2 @ 20"). I tried smaller less frequent feedings. I tried adding extra comprehensive in, even tried to add a KPN tab that I got to dissolve. Would a complete blackout of the tank for two days help? I hate doing that to the plants! It's getting unsightly and I really don't wanna have to rip out the whole tank to bleach it out. TIA
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru
Check out this algae ID and treatment blog and see if there's something you can use...

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap
A Silent Cycled Tank
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Green spot algae will often go away if you dose extra phosphorous (phosphates, or KH2PO4). I suspect you have a shortage of all of the macro fertilizers, nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous. See _Dosing Regimes_ for more information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode