Compact Flourescent Bulb - The Planted Tank Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 28
Compact Flourescent Bulb

Anybody here knows about low efficient compact bulb.
It claims 1bulb with 20Watts will uotput equivalent to a hundred Watts.
So if we use 5inline compact bulb inside a hood then we produce 500watts.
Is this useful for a planted tank?
Can any body enlighten me about this. I am planning to use it in my 100gal low tech planted tank. Please help.
Thank You.
herosipet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
imeridian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 2,847
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
You can't count the "equivalent watts" when you're considering "watts per gallon." Those screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs are only really useful on smaller tanks where a standard fixture wouldn't fit, or in place of incandescent bulbs in an economy 10 gallon hood.

You would be better off, in my opinion, to consider either the standard linear fluorescents (normal or high output) or "PC" lighting, which is also compact fluorescent, but more efficient due to the design as compared to those scew-in bulbs.
imeridian is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
You can't count the "equivalent watts" when you're considering "watts per gallon." Those screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs are only really useful on smaller tanks where a standard fixture wouldn't fit, or in place of incandescent bulbs in an economy 10 gallon hood.

You would be better off, in my opinion, to consider either the standard linear fluorescents (normal or high output) or "PC" lighting, which is also compact fluorescent, but more efficient due to the design as compared to those scew-in bulbs.
Thank you for your quick reply and opinion. I will take your opinion into consideration.
herosipet is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
swylie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by herosipet View Post
It claims 1bulb with 20Watts will uotput equivalent to a hundred Watts.
That's only true if you're comparing 20W fluorescent to 100W incandescent. Incandescent bulbs are horrendously inefficient.

In the aquarium hobby we really only use "watts" as a shorthand for lighting intensity. The important thing isn't how many watts you're burning, but how much light you're making. This is measured in lumens, PAR, etc, but not watts.

Anyway, those bulbs you're thinking about are no magical solution. They're just 20 watt fluorescents, and with a mediocre (for our purposes) spiral shape to boot.
swylie is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
That's only true if you're comparing 20W fluorescent to 100W incandescent. Incandescent bulbs are horrendously inefficient.

In the aquarium hobby we really only use "watts" as a shorthand for lighting intensity. The important thing isn't how many watts you're burning, but how much light you're making. This is measured in lumens, PAR, etc, but not watts.

Anyway, those bulbs you're thinking about are no magical solution. They're just 20 watt fluorescents, and with a mediocre (for our purposes) spiral shape to boot.
Thanks for the info. All this will help me as a newbie.
herosipet is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 28
Any recomendation on what would be the effective light for a 100gal low tech tank. Most of my plants right now is low light plants. I have a 10 inches Jardini in it. I am using 2 X 40 T12 and six screw in blue bulbs 25 wats each 8 to 10hrs a day. No CO2.
Any suggestion I am all ears.
Thank you
herosipet is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome