Excellent List of Low Light Plants - Page 19 - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 276 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Also, consider that under low CO2 concentrations, the plant needs to use mechanisms that concentrate carbon, or extract carbon from carbonates. Both of these require more energy, thus you get less sugar produced per quantity of electrons hitting the plant.
Thanks mattinmd, that's a really useful post, and this is the piece of understanding I was missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd
If you start digging into a biology text you'll get more into the specific reactions of photosynthesis, but that's a very "looking at the trees not the forest" perspective.
This is exactly the problem I had, I tried to gather the information from the wikipedia page to refresh my understanding, but I got so bogged down in details that I was missing the basics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 276 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The list should be seen as an opinion, which is not necessarily correct. For example, HC- Hemianthus callitrichoides will not grow well at all without CO2 and with low light. And, many of the stem plants listed will grow, but will be a big disappointment, with low light and no CO2 or Excel.
I was looking through this thread for some stem plant recommendations. Like you mention, I have tried a couple of stem plants, most recently Rotala indica, which just hasn't grown well, or much at all. I have a 20 long with a Stingray Finnex, no co2, following Barr's fertilization guide. Any suggestions for a stem plant that wouldn't be a disappointment? Thanks!

I have no idea what I'm doing!
post #273 of 276 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This was really interesting. I just used the list for inspiration- but looking up many plants on the side, to see if they need C02 (I don't add it) and what they look like in different conditions. So many I was at first interested in I don't think will do well for me at all. I don't have a PAR meter, but judging by the growth habit of my plants I think I actually have med light, or low/med perhaps...

Can anyone tell me what its like growing Aponogeton Rigidifolius in low tech med light? I saw it on the list, but what I read elsewhere online says it demands high light. I really love the look of this plant and if it has slow growth or doesn't get as big when in lower light/no C02, I'm okay w/that. It wouldn't take over...

10 gal planted- male plakat betta, two nerite snails, malaysian trumpet snails | 38 gal planted- cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, oto catfish, nerites, mts
post #274 of 276 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@veo88
Here's a big list of low light hardy plants
post #275 of 276 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

A low tech, liberally stocked, well-established tank with a substrate rich in organic matter and biological activity has more CO2 than most people expect.
Fish produce co2.
Aerobic bacteria (in the substrate, particularly) produce a lot of co2.

The problem imo is people over-filter tanks- all the surface agitation drives the co2 out.
I've had heavily plantedunfiltered tanks, set up in windowsills and generous supplemental light do amazing things, with much less algae than you'd assume.
I speculate it was because of the naturally produced co2
post #276 of 276 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 PM

I have two nice sized java ferns, two amazon swords, and three other plants I cant remember what there names are. I have 55 gallon with 7 white clouds (one of which lookin like gonna lay some eggs) got 1 small pleco, and two cory cats, and there all friendly but those cory cats really bring some fun to the tank my wife said they look and swim like dolphins haha, ill post some pics when I can, my question is when I gravel vac should I not leave the plants be and go around them?, really don't like or think good idea to pull them out and move everytime to vac the tank, thanks

THE SALIENT ONE

Tags
low light plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode