The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 60 Gallon. Advice?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  04100824 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello again, all! I just purchased this tank last weekend:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804465&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Currently, I have the former residents of my now-retired 29 gallon in it. Mostly anubias and a tiny bit of sad-looking java moss, an albino BN pleco and some long fin Serpae tetras with pool filter sand as my substrate and a Fluval AquaClear HOB filter rated for 60-110 gallons that I'll probably double at some point..

Two or three years ago, my 29 was densely planted, but I admit, not quite as successful as I'd have liked, and I neglected it while going through my divorce and for quite awhile afterward. Now I'm working on getting back into the hobby. I need advice to get this thing rolling! It's the largest tank I've ever had and I'm really wanting to make it a success!

My first question - the lighting that came with it is not ideal. (I mean.. right?!) I'm aiming for a low tech community tank and am happy with java ferns, anubias, moss and maybe a sword of some sort, if I can pull that off. I assume I'd do better to change out the entire fixtures, rather than just switch the bulbs to something better? Whatever I do, I would love it if I can make it work with the existing hood...

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you guys have!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You could use this LED light: Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies which would give you the low light, and pretty uniform light, that is good for the type of setup you want.
Hoppy!! I remember you from a couple of years back! I will GLADLY take this advice! Thank you so much! I will pick one up on my next pay check.

ETA - do you think it will be any big deal that there is the break in the middle of the tops? I assume not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.