So I made quit a few changes to the 55 gallon. I removed the 3 large swords. They really made my tank feel congested. I also moved the large manzanita branch to my 125 gallon, and I moved some pieces of driftwood from the 125 to this one. The large manz. Driftwood seemed almost too big for this tank. Also added a cap of pool filter sand from the 125. I really like how the tank looked before with the sand in there, so I went back to it. Plus the the sand will allow me to pin point the poop. I hated not being able to distinguish the poo from the substrate. I still have the floramax under the sand. When I took out all the substrate to clean it of all the poop, I coated the bottom with muriate of potash and dolomite. I will also place dried dim size balls of clay deep in the substrate for the heaving root feeders, as well as giving those heavy root feeders root tabs.
During this whole process, several of the crypts took a beating, as well as the dwarf sag and pygmy chain swords. Here is to hoping they make a recovery.
Just to clarify, I began this entire process because I noticed most of my fish had Ich. Hadn't dealt with Ich for this tank yet, so I assumed it was because I never cleaned the top of the substrate for poo, which led to deteriorated water quality. I had always done water changes and other maintenance, so if the poo covered substrate wasn't it, I am not sure of the cause.
Things I will be doing for this tank in the next few days:
I will be adding the fish back after treatment is done.
Add clay balls
Buy and add substrate tabs
Buy new bulbs
And add an extra canister filter to go along with my Eheim 2215
Here's all the updates, CHEERS!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk