plant suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
plant suggestions

Have a 36 gal bowfront, 2 bulb T5NO fixture (38 watts total), eco-complete substrate. Right now I have some anubius nana and java ferns tied to rocks in the midground, a big and few small crypt wendtii planted in the substrate midground. Have some hornwort that used to be planted in the background but now am letting it float. Only background plant is a small Amazon Sword in the back corner.

Looking for suggestions for background plants? Maybe Jungle Val? Any others that I should look into?

And what about forground plants?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Wannabe Guru
background plants i like brazilian pennywort. its a stem plant that can be grown floating, planted, or emersed. it grows very fast and sucks nitrate/ammonia very quickly as well. i had some in my tank and i had to prune it within a week and i have no CO2 or ferts. propagation is easy, just by removing the stem above a node. thats one that i have worked with. others are great too. i have sunset hygro but that is a plant that is restricted in some states so if you wanted that you would have to check your state's requirments. its a quick grower and i was told it was low light as well.

forground, i am using staurogyne repens and am going to get in some dwarf and pygmy swords as well. others could be dwarf hair grass, micro sword, glossostigma, and marsilea minuta off the top of my head. dont know the requiremts of those plants though. i have only s. repens
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
i just set up a low light tank too..a 55gal no co2. plants i was thinking of for it include
foreground---MM (marsilea minuta)
mid ground---crypts,java fern,mosses,anubias,hygrophila compact
background---hygro angustifolia or tiger, cryptocoryne balansae (this is a nice one), vals (jungle or italian)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru
Crypt parva makes a great foreground too if you plant tons of it from the start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode