New Co2 DIY system I built Real easy to set up too - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Co2 DIY system I built Real easy to set up too

hey just added my first home built Co2 system into my 75 gal. tank for about 30 dollars.. the most expensive part was the pump to use as a diffuser.. there are other ways to do that but i wanted the pump to help get it into the current of the tank..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0220020831.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	42380  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

Cool I love DIY. Can you explain what we are looking at for us noobs?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is the big container glass? And what is the benefit as opposed to using a 2L soda bottle
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Benefit? nothing really. It might be a little more stable from a stand point of being knocked over, but thats about the only advantage i can see. IMO id prefer this to a soda bottle just due to its ability to be so easily cleaned (dishwasher safe lol) and it will never get old and need replacing.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the Large container is the generator.. still working on the right mixture.. soo far 4 cups of water, 4 cups of sugar, 3/4 tspn of active dry yeast and so far thats working.. i ran a hose out of the top of the large jar to the bottom of the small jar(bubble counter) with another hose coming out of the small jar to the tank... to me 2 ltr bottles just wouldnt do it.. wanted more durability and stability as derek said.. its a work in progress and i'll get the perfect mixture one of these attemps
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good so far

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Algae Grower

Nice, very cool idea for the bubble counter!

Thanks for the explanation
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure that the glass jar has has much capability for holding pressure as an ordinary carbonated drink bottle. If the glass jar gets overpressurized it could spray glass shards over a large area. But, a plastic bottle, even if it could be overpressurized, wouldn't spray anything dangerous. Also, the wide mouth on the jar means the lid is not going to be able to withstand much pressure at all - the force on the lid will be too high for it to hold. And, if it fails, yeast/sugar water will spray everywhere, then if the check valve leaks, the tank will siphon its water out on the floor. Shortly after that the world ends with a bang? (Needed a good finish to the tale of woe!)

Hoppy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm not sure that the glass jar has has much capability for holding pressure as an ordinary carbonated drink bottle. If the glass jar gets overpressurized it could spray glass shards over a large area. But, a plastic bottle, even if it could be overpressurized, wouldn't spray anything dangerous. Also, the wide mouth on the jar means the lid is not going to be able to withstand much pressure at all - the force on the lid will be too high for it to hold. And, if it fails, yeast/sugar water will spray everywhere, then if the check valve leaks, the tank will siphon its water out on the floor. Shortly after that the world ends with a bang? (Needed a good finish to the tale of woe!)
I disagree. The pressure will be released thru the tubing in the lid - thats its purpose. So there is no possibility of it pressurizing enough to explode unless the tube somehow gets plugged. And before the pressure blows the jar up, IMO it will shoot that airline tubing out of the top, thereby releasing the pressure.

This is nothing more than a miniature beer brewing setup. Glass fermentation vessels are very common. I have 6 of them
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

trust me it does smell like a brewery when i go to clean it.. but so far it is working.. my thoughts though are that i might still have the mix too low as in not enough yeast.. i'm not getting the bubble count i should be getting.. any thoughts?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't mean to pester but the title should be CO2 not Co2 now that's cobalt not carbon dioxide! Sorry it bugs me...

DBP Club

I ride motorcycles.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll make a note of that..
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

i found in the short time i have had my DYI going that a 50/50 mix of cane and brown sugar produces the most. However in all fairness I took extra care with water temps and mixing that i did not do when using all cane sugar. I got my water to approx 100F or slightly higher and mixed sugar in. In a separate small bowl i mixed the yeast with maybe 2oz of warm water and let rehydrate for a few minutes before adding into sugar water. After a few short hours it was already producing. After a 48 hour period i have roughly 20 bpm from a single 2 liter bottle.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been experimenting with the mixtures alot.. some say to add more yeast some say to add less yeast.. it kinda confuses me somewhat but I added a second two ltr bottle with 2 cups sugar 2 cups water and 1/2 tspn yeast and to me its not the right amount for what they show in pictures. I'm no chemist but I think the sugar to water ratio is a little off.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Neither of those containers is intended to hold pressure. A soda bottle will hold over 100psi.
If it gets a bit warm and the fermentation goes into overdrive, you could easily clog that tubing.
Most people that use glass carboys for brewing use them as secondaries, after fermentation is over. Those that do ferment in glass use large blow-off tubes. Large enough that the tubing wedges into the opening, something close to two inch tubing.
beer bottles violently explode if the beer is bottled before it is done fermenting (referred to as bottle grenades for good reason). Beer bottles are smaller in diameter and thicker than both of those containers. Beer bottles are much stronger. The mason jar is weaker with the flat surfaces.
I'm not trying to bash your design. I think the large jar is a good idea. It adds stability and the surface area allows for better off gassing of the CO2. The blow-off jar prevents anything from being carried over. The large opening allows for better cleaning.

I just think that it is a risky setup. You are hoping that the small diameter tubing does not get clogged and that if it does, it gets pushed out of the lid. In my opinion, that is pretty risky. And I jump out of airplanes and off bridges for fun.
If that thing goes, I really hope nobody is home. The mess would suck to clean up as it is. Having to pull ragged glass shards out of someone's face or throat would be pretty brutal. Someone posted a link to a bunch of glass DIY CO2 reactor stories a while back. several of the people were home brewers and should have known better. In most cases people weren't home. One of the stories I remember the guy saying how grateful he was that his dog only got scared and wasn't killed. The dog wouldn't come out of hiding for several hours after he got home. He said he really lucked out because he had glass buried almost a 1/2 inch deep in his walls and ceiling. It was a tank maintenance day and he could have been next to the thing when it went off.

I'd hate for you to have a bad accident with that rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode