From clown puke to ozark glades (10 gal, low tech) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
Just a warning, dwarf sag won't stay dwarf in a low tech tank with low light. It will grow massive foot long leaves, that melt and die. It's my second least favorite plant (anacharis being the first).
That totally depends on the variety. There are some that won't exceed 3" tall no matter the lighting.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, this is a 10gal with 2x15w cfl bulbs. I think it should have decent light. I really like the look of the dwarf hairgrass... gotta try to find some dwarf hairgrass belem though.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Planted Member

What type of rock do you plan to use? Great mock up by the way.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by depech View Post
What type of rock do you plan to use? Great mock up by the way.
Thanks.

well, most of the rock around here is limestone. To emulate that visually, I'm just going to settle with some southwest flagstone (flat bits of sandstone). I'll lay it flat and maybe stack it to create the creek side.

You can see some of the stone here
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I would avoid Eleocharis species if you're not planning on using CO2.

I'd consider Lilaopsis mauritiana, instead. It's what I have carpeting my own 90 and 29gal (no trimming or CO2 needed)...

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I finally moved the last few fish out. I dumped the old water and most of the clown puke. I kept a little clown puke and left it under the soil and sand. The red rock was in the old tank too. I need to get more sand to build up more, there's not a thick enough layer over the soil. I also want to get some kind of lighter material for the "creek bed". Not sure if I'll do light sand or pebbles.

I moved the filter over to the new tank to keep the biofilter alive. When this one is ready, I'll just move it back! My cycle should go much faster.

I don't think I'm going to try super hard to get the grass effect I had initially planned for. I think I will still plant something taller in back but the foreground will probably be whatever grows a thick carpet the easiest.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm researching mosses for the carpet. Anyone have luck cutting up marimo balls for moss carpets?
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

Marimo won't carpet. I cut one up and flattened it out in a 2.5 gallon. It had to be weighed down and the undersides turned very brown. I ended up pulling it completely. Once left to grow on its own after many many months the pieces started trying to ball up again.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I finished the hardscape I think. The creek bed turned out a little goofy looking, but I'm cool with that.

I have been researching and thought about trying HC for the carpet and doing the emersed way where you just have enough water for the roots to grow for like a month (is that the correct term?). But I'm not sure my sand could hold down a healthy growth of HC.

Still researching I guess.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not a bad start man. That hardscape is pretty spiffy.

For HC, sand will work great. I have a partial HC carpet in my 2.5 gallon with black marine sand and it loves it. The only issue I think you will have is how slowly it will grow once you flood the tank if you don't have CO2 going. Some Excel added religiously will solve that problem for the most part though. And I think the term you are looking for is emergent, but emersed and emergent are used pretty interchangeably around here, so no worries. What you are planning is called a "Dry start". Not too dry, but that should help with the research on this tank. Looks good so far man, keep it up.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm really not stuck on HC. I mean I like the way it looks, but at this point I'm still building experience. I have also considered different mosses. Even Riccia would be really easy to just tie to a bunch of rocks and have an almost instant carpet. I suspect it would require constant trimming though.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebkraft View Post
I'm really not stuck on HC. I mean I like the way it looks, but at this point I'm still building experience. I have also considered different mosses. Even Riccia would be really easy to just tie to a bunch of rocks and have an almost instant carpet. I suspect it would require constant trimming though.
Yeah, riccia tends to grow up. And then it breaks off and grows in a massive floating pod. You will be better off with moss of some sort. Peacock and Java grow pretty easily.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just ordered a square mile of HC. We'll see how it does.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
That totally depends on the variety. There are some that won't exceed 3" tall no matter the lighting.
I see, do you know how to tell them apart? Or a better question, what's a nice low level, low light plant for these types of tanks?
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So frustrated right now. I had ordered $40 worth of HC. I noticed as the order went through that paypal had my address that I had just moved from.

I put a note in the "notes" section of the order form to contact me since the address was wrong, and included the correct address... they completely ignored it. No contact and the package was attempted at the old address and is most likely being returned to them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode