first timer 40gal tall tank setup - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That plant isn't aquatic, it will do well with its roots being in water but the stems and leaves won't live submersed, so it will do well in a riparium or terrarium/vivarium set up. It's a type of begonia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebkraft View Post
There's a sponge and a cartridge in the old tank. I've changed that cartridge 5 or 6 times this year with no problems. Problably due to the fact that theres just a guppy, a pleco, and a shrimp in there... Along with a lot of generic plant. This should basically be the same. The several month old cartridge is now floating in the new tank with the new filter running.
Cool, if it's got old sponge material in it still then that will definitely prevent a cycle when the cartridge is replaced.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Am I doing the math wrong here? I finally measured this aquarium and I get 12x22x30=7,920 cubic inches= 120 gal...
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Planted Member

It's actually a 35g, the same tank I have. You'll need far more light than 15W if you want to grow anything more than crazy low light plants. I have 2x24W T5HO lighting in my tank and I'm medium light. Let's get some more info, what are your actual fish plans, what kind of filter is that? If you can give us some more info people on here will give you some great ideas on how to achieve what you want, rather than you having to do trial and error figuring out what you want and what works for you.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Haha, had a little too much wine last night and was using some online conversion.

Anyway, I've been posting from work since my home Internet is out, so I got some stuff wrong. Upon further inspection the day-glo bulb is 20w. I added the 18w aqua-glo last night as well.

My original plan was to go low light, low tech, rip/viv. I wanted a section at the top for some semi aquatics. However I stupidly went HOB and this sucker is big. To have it down at the water line would take up considerable space. Should have gone cannister! Oh well, I'm flexible.

Fish plans: I figured I'd get something tough and fairly small. After some research, I settled on a few zebra danios. I'm thinking 5-ish. Other than that I might add my current pleco or get some other similar, but smaller.

I love inverts, so I planned on having shrimp as well. Still researching to make sure I'm not overcrowding, but I was thinking roughly 10.
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
That plant isn't aquatic, it will do well with its roots being in water but the stems and leaves won't live submersed, so it will do well in a riparium or terrarium/vivarium set up. It's a type of begonia.
Bummer, they were selling it as aquatic. Jerks.

Oh well. I pulled it all out this morning and gave it a nice soggy spot in the window. While I was pulling and inspecting this morning I noticed some dark fuzz on one of my Anubias. Now that I've been searching the forums, it appears to be BBA. It is big enough, it had to have been there when I bought it... I just didn't notice.

Quote:
what kind of filter is that?
Tetra whisper EX45. I removed the carbon pouch and replaced it with raw filter material.

I also got a decent pic of one of my unknown shrimp this morning.
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
However I stupidly went HOB and this sucker is big. To have it down at the water line would take up considerable space. Should have gone cannister!
An internal filter is another option for a riparium set up. I have a 37 gallon riparium that I'm using a Fluval U2 internal filter in.
Quote:
Bummer, they were selling it as aquatic. Jerks.
Yeah, they do that crap.

On the anubias you can treat the bba with excel (but I would treat the plant out of the tank since shrimp are sensitive to excel) and cut off the heavily affected areas.
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. I'll clean up that plant today.

I've been researching the fauna I'd like to get. Frankly, I'm more excited about inverts than the fish. After further research, the Danios might be a little too high strung for me so I might go to tetras.

On the inverts side... I WANT THEM ALL! ... but I'll just start with the easiest and most forgiving which seams to be the cherry shrimp. I'd love to add in some others, like the bamboo shrimp and stuff but I'd be smart to wait till I'm more experienced.
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

Just be aware that getting cherries will limit your fish options. If the shrimp can fit in the fish's mouth, it will likely get eaten. I'd stick with amanos, I also find them more interesting than cherries too.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Just be aware that getting cherries will limit your fish options. If the shrimp can fit in the fish's mouth, it will likely get eaten. I'd stick with amanos, I also find them more interesting than cherries too.
Yeah, I thought about that. those bright red guys in my black and green aquarium would have to stand out. I have PLENTY of hiding paces and tons of vertical space. I planned on getting a few different kinds. We'll see how each does.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I could start over I would just do shrimp and nerite snails... I would have never bought all the different tetras, bettas, white cloud minnows I have. The only fish I'm attached to are my gardneri killifish, dwarf puffers, and whiptail catfish.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yeah, I'm not too interested in fish, but I have SO MUCH VERTICAL SPACE.

If funds were unlimited and I were starting over, I'd be tempted to do a giant moss wall and go all inverts. For now, I'll just have a handful of tetras or something to keep things interesting and amuse my kids.

I just found this thread on light.This clears up a lot of questions for me and I guess means that I'm very low light. I think I'm roughly 1w per gallon and all that vertical space doesn't help at all. I'm broke though, so I guess I'll deal with it for now.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK...
After a few days of obsessively reading this forum, I've determined that I have no idea what I'm doing That's not horrible though. I love learning new stuff.

My 40G is still working on its first cycle. I haven't seen any bumps in nitrates really yet. I've realized that my lighting is pretty pathetic... like everyone was telling me. I think I'll leave it as it is for now in terms of plants and see if I can just keep it alive and healthy for a while.

The good news is though, I have a 10gal that will be free soon for another project! I've been researching and I've already got plenty of light. I'll probably try a little fancier in terms of aesthetics, but still low tech. Purely shrimp in that one though.
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Planted Member

If you don't want to spend the money on better lighting on this one what I would do is have a lot more hardscape, look for tall pieces of driftwood and then use mosses, ferns, anubias and the like which should still grow slowly with your light. Then with the 10g do more higher lighting and fancier plants. Maybe with the 35g focus more on the fish.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK... Someone educate me on filters. This tanks is CLOUDY and I want to make sure I'm still on track.

Nitrates at 5, Ammonia at .002.

I read in a couple places that the charcoal in some filters is unnecessary/bad. I have removed mine and put in strait filter material. Is this correct? Am I going down the wrong road here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode