Planted tank,65cm tall...aggggh help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planted tank,65cm tall...aggggh help

Okay so I have a fluval profile 850 arriving on Thursday and need some ideas. This is my old tank which I feel I never managed to get the right balance for the height of it and it is only 18 inches tall.

(this tank, with plants and wood, if anyone is interested)

I want my new tank to be really full with plants to give the fish plenty of places to hide in sort of a arc shape around the back leaving a open area at the front and lots of wood to fill the full height of the tank efficiently and need plant ideas and wood ideas.

I dont really have a budget as such but would prefer to go without CO2 (I have had a lot of conflicting advice on this so I am a little wary)

My substrate will be sand for my corys.

I really am stumped as to what to do with this tank.

Also I am only 5'4 (162cm) and the tank is 133cm when on its stand so if anyone can reccomend a good plant tool set do let me know....so I dont drown hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You said the tank is 65cm tall in the title and then in the post that it is 18" tall. 65cm converted to inches is about 26" tall. That is a tall tank.

38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

New tank is 26" deep.
Old tank was 18" deep.

Step stool and at least 12" tools. I think I would be better off with 18" tools but am dealing with 8" ones at the moment. You might try out the tool before buying as the shorter the tweezers and scissors the easier to be precise. And the longer they are the stronger they need to be. Tools long enough so you can look through the front glass while using scissors and tweezer/forceps are better. The height of the stand matters too. My old 24" stand+24" tank was easy to deal with a 2 step stool but the 32" stand+24" tank really needs the 3 step [or 4?] stool I keep forgetting to get out of the garage.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
New tank is 26" deep.
Old tank was 18" deep.

Step stool and at least 12" tools. I think I would be better off with 18" tools but am dealing with 8" ones at the moment. You might try out the tool before buying as the shorter the tweezers and scissors the easier to be precise. And the longer they are the stronger they need to be. Tools long enough so you can look through the front glass while using scissors and tweezer/forceps are better. The height of the stand matters too. My old 24" stand+24" tank was easy to deal with a 2 step stool but the 32" stand+24" tank really needs the 3 step [or 4?] stool I keep forgetting to get out of the garage.
Thank you for the info, I think it will be a bit of trial and error from what you have described....I do pick a awkward shaped tank.

Can anyone reccomend any plants that grow really tall, I have giant vallis in my other tank, although would prefer somthing other than vallis as I am not keen on the look of it (I prefer broader leaved plants)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your Tall Tank

Hello angel...

I have a 45 G Tall, essentially the same as your new one. Mine has a small iron stand that came with it, so the tank is still fairly short and easy to service.

The lighting can be a little tricky unless you stay with low light plants. In that case, all you need is a single, 6500 K, 32 watt, T12. If you want to have some stronger light plants then they'll have to be the kind that will grow floated like Bananas or Water sprite. I have the Banana attached to some driftwood and the Water sprite can be arranged around the driftwood.

The 45 G Tall is a very nice tank.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellover View Post
Thank you for the info, I think it will be a bit of trial and error from what you have described....I do pick a awkward shaped tank.

Can anyone reccomend any plants that grow really tall, I have giant vallis in my other tank, although would prefer somthing other than vallis as I am not keen on the look of it (I prefer broader leaved plants)
There are some giant Sagittaria species with fairly broad leaves. Swordplants might work, also.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Virtually all common stem plants will grow that tall - ludwigias, hydrophila, etc. And, most rotalas also do so, as do ambulias, etc. Common stem plants are basically weeds that use whatever space is available and try to fill it.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all your ideas, shall start googleing the plants suggested

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello angel...

I have a 45 G Tall, essentially the same as your new one. Mine has a small iron stand that came with it, so the tank is still fairly short and easy to service.

The lighting can be a little tricky unless you stay with low light plants. In that case, all you need is a single, 6500 K, 32 watt, T12. If you want to have some stronger light plants then they'll have to be the kind that will grow floated like Bananas or Water sprite. I have the Banana attached to some driftwood and the Water sprite can be arranged around the driftwood.

The 45 G Tall is a very nice tank.

B
is it difficult to upgrade the lighting? Its somthing I never thought of doing if I am honest.

The tank arrived today and I am chuffed with it apart from the fact it is 235 litres and it comes with a 200w heater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode