Another NPT Conversion "Mezza Luna" - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is an update from the weekend. Did about 10 or 15% water change and added Bacopa Caroliniana and Rotala Rotundofolia in the back right of the tank. I'm hoping the bacopa becomes emergent and I'm planning to prune the rotala so it becomes bushy, I want to keep the negative space above the rotala. I really feel these new additions add some contrast with the bright green. I also added a black background to hide some of the wires from my light. What do you guys think of the black? I am also considering painting the same color blue I have on my wall onto a piece of cardboard because I kinda liked how that looked. Anyway.from here on out is a waiting game, hopefully the plants acclimate sooner then later. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks awesome. Looking forward to see how it all grows in.

I like the black as I'm not fond of blue; though it certainly wasn't an eyesore on your tank so I guess which ever you prefer works well. However, you do have a blue betta in there so I'd stick with the black to really make him pop.
post #18 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
Looks awesome. Looking forward to see how it all grows in.

I like the black as I'm not fond of blue; though it certainly wasn't an eyesore on your tank so I guess which ever you prefer works well. However, you do have a blue betta in there so I'd stick with the black to really make him pop.
Cool. Thanks. Hey I made a video. Check it out>>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzFy3A-FZdo&sns=em
post #19 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Cool. Thanks. Hey I made a video. Check it out>>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzFy3A-FZdo&sns=em

Dude that vid is like a horror movie... you get all trapped in the tranquility of watching the fish and sway of the plants and then... CRASH!! LOL... awesomeness!
post #20 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #21 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is my labor day update. Been a few weeks and I'm seeing really slow growth. This tank is taking forever to get established. But I have faith. I see new growth so that's good. The Vals are still struggling but I am optimistic that once the roots get established we will see an explosion. The dwarf hairgrass is not looking great. I think my mts snails are
uprooting it because everyday i see pieces of it floating. I'm thinking of pulling it and adding more dwarf sag and micro sword( e. Tennelus). The crypts are hanging in there, I see some new leaves starting to sprout. But this is very slow as well. Oh well. Must have patience. Java moss and bacopa look ok. Rotala has been the same since I planted it last week.I have a nice price of java fern "Philippine" on order. Super excited to add to my driftwood. I like the hammered look of it. So far I haven't done any water changes in a few weeks and parameters are stable. Question for the dirt frat people. Are you doing water changes? if so, why? Walstad recommends not too. I'm pretty low light so I'm sticking to her method for now.
Here are a few pics and a YouTube vid. Apologies in advance for the tv reflection in the vid, I shot it with my iPhone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3kiLkSPG_8&sns=em
Attached Images

post #22 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

looks great! give it time and things will get going.

to answer your question about water changes, i do them to remove detrius and debris.

125g Mud tank.
(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #23 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
looks great! give it time and things will get going.

to answer your question about water changes, i do them to remove detrius and debris.
Cool! Thanks.
post #24 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Algae Grower

Tank looks sweet!

The only time I've ever worried about cleaning the detritus is when I had sand substrate. It should fall through the eco complete and fertilize the plants further.

Rex
post #25 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm trying not to do any water changes in order for the plants to have as many nutrients as possible in the water. some, like Dustin from dustins fish tanks, do weekly water changes because he believes that the plants benefit from it. I'm trying for the most natural method as possible.
post #26 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quick update:
Added Java Fern "Philippine". Plant is a stunner. Really love how hardy and green it is. Tying it to the wood submersed was really big PITA! ugh, I still don't really have it the way I want it exactly but it'll have to do until the roots attach to the wood. Everything else is still the same. Thx for looking!
Attached Images

post #27 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
You are going to need LOTS of patience for them Vals. It took mine around 3 months to see some noticable growth from after I got them. Now, though, they are growing so fast I can almost watch them grow.

On another note, the tank looks better every time you update. A much nicer look than the original configuration. I wish mine looked that nice just weeks after planting, good job.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I do not change my water, just topoffs. I did weekly 25% wc's for the first 3 weeks after I put my wood and dirt in just to get rid of most of the tannins. Now, though, it's just topoffs.

The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
post #28 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
You are going to need LOTS of patience for them Vals. It took mine around 3 months to see some noticable growth from after I got them. Now, though, they are growing so fast I can almost watch them grow.

On another note, the tank looks better every time you update. A much nicer look than the original configuration. I wish mine looked that nice just weeks after planting, good job.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I do not change my water, just topoffs. I did weekly 25% wc's for the first 3 weeks after I put my wood and dirt in just to get rid of most of the tannins. Now, though, it's just topoffs.
Cool! Thanks for the input. The vals are def taking their time. I soaked my wood for 2 weeks or so. then did two 25 or 30% water changes after I set up. Now I do the same as you, just top off. I just read another good article based off of Tom Barr's low tech method. It stresses no water changes in non-c02 low light set ups.the idea is that if you change your water it will introduce too much c02 at once and can trigger algae blooms. Although they suggest to dose once a week, I'm going to try not to until I see some noticeable deficiencies.
Thanks for the compliments, my idea here is to combine the npt method with the aesthetics of amano's nature aquarium. I now realize how diffuclt that is. But learning is what is so fun. And patience is key!
post #29 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just another little update here. My plants are really slow to acclimate here.And some are even melting a little. After doing some research I found out that my water here in ny is soft! Ugh! I always tested ph but I don't have a kh/gh test kit. Ph was always neutral. Maybe sometimes slightly acidic. Anyway, I had some left over crushed coral so i put a little bit of it into some mesh and made a little bag and threw it into my filter.
Questions:
I didn't have much of it left. Do I need a significant amount to raise the hardness?
How long does it usually take? I obviously would want it to start going up slowly, as ton not shock fish and plants.
Anything else I could do? I saw in anither thread that baking soda will work. Its a ten gallon, how much would I need. Or should I not bother since I have the crushed coral in there?

Ok. Here's hoping my plants start coming back. Luckily they are not all completely dead. The dwarf sag actually had some new growth. But it's very slow.
post #30 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower

I love the look! Lucky betta to have so much space.
I've just started a planted 3 gallon for my betta and want to go for the look you have.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode