Upgrading planted tank have some questions. - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Upgrading planted tank have some questions.

I recently bought a 75gal tank to upgrade my 35gal along with a 48" Aquaticlife HO T5 dual strip light. I have yet to set up the tank, as I am building a tank stand for it in a week or two. Now for my questions.

1. With the 48' 108 watt light, where does that put me, in high light or med light category? Will I be able to grow other plants then just java fern and crypts?

2. Will I need to use CO2 with the HOT5 light or would Excel be fine?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru
If the reflectors are good it puts you into high light. Good reflectors are individual and have angles bent so you can count many bulbs when you look at the fixture, not just the two that are actually there.

This thread has a very handy chart. Looks like you have medium light if the fixture is 12" over the tank and high light if on or 4" over the tank. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

Even with low or medium light CO2 is helpful for growing strong plants that don't get covered with algae.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
thread stickied...

pressurized CO2 would be the way to go as buying enough excel for a tank that large would be financial suicide

ΔΙΡΤ Fraternity, Inc. #33

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode