need help/suggestions for plants - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
need help/suggestions for plants

Tank dimensions
48.5" L x 21.125 H x 18.5 W Works out to 82G

Pool Filter Sand 2" depth

Decor: Big piece of drifwood, which the Pike cichlid has made a home to hide under..

48" Current-USA Nova Extreme 2x54W T5HO will be hanging 12" from the top of the tank to create Medium Lighting.
Which buld to use:
10 000k + 6700k
10 000k + Pink bulb
2 6700k
6700k + Pink bulb

Filtration: Ehiem Pro 3 2075 + Rena XP 2

Current inhabitants: 7" Pike Cichlid and a 7.5" Common Pleco

No Pressurized CO2, would like to avoid this.

I need to add structure(add rocks and Plants) so the Pike can move around and ambush it's prey(live food). I already know what type of rocks to use but don't know what types of plants. My wife wants colors, other than green. Which plants can I use?

In order to support the suggested plants in medium lightling, what will be needed: Flourish Excel, Roots tabs, ferts? What would be needing and what will be the amounts and dosages?.
If I'm ok with medium light plants with no pressurized CO2, wasn't there a list of plants catigorized by the level of lighting?

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Is this a 82 gallon tank? Or 80 gallon?

If so, you would probably have around 1.3 watts per gallon (Which would only provide enough light for low light; In your case, no C02). There are quite a few plants that could go in low light, take a look at this thread: Excellent List Of Low Light Plants - by Homer_Simpson

See, when you are planting, just be wary of your Pike Cichlid. Pike's do like to rearrange aquarium decor, but should refrain from uprooting plants (Always watch out though).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
It works out to an 82G tank.

According to Hoppy's light charts my current light suspended 12 inches puts me in the medium lighting range.

Last edited by Master Sachimo; 06-01-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode