Java Fern Deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Java Fern Deficiency?

Can anyone tell me if my Java Fern has a deficiency or not? In the picture you can see both young healthy growth, including the large leaves in the foreground and upper-right, but also brown dots on the older leaf in the upper-left. Over an extended time the older leaves will become inundated with brown dots and eventually deteriorate.

Tank is low-tech. I've messed with flourish and flourish-trace but not consistently enough to be conclusive. Light has traditionally been pretty high (using a Current USA Plus-Pro) but in the last month I have reduced it to about 60% as I believe it's been too high for low-tech. Already seeing reduction in brown algae.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	756762  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This sounds like the normal aging process for the leaf. Java fern can display deficiencies, but this is not likely unless you have high light, CO2, to drive its growth rate.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I'm wondering if the lower light might help. It definitely hasn't slowed the production of young leaves in the tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi msncookie,

While looking at your Microsorum (java fern) leaf with the necrosis I noticed the small stem at the bottom of the photo; notice the yellowing along the leaf margins that extends inward while the veins of the leaves remain green?
Quote:
Chlorosis along leaf margins extending between veins produces a "Christmas tree" pattern. Veins normal green. Leaf margins may curl downward or upward with puckering effect. Necrosis may suddenly occur between veins. Potassium or calcium excess can inhibit uptake of magnesium...magnesium deficiency
Is the water rather soft where you live in Ontario?

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0 48"/59W, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum filters; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K, 1X Marineland 350 Magnum filter; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W, Marineland C-220 filter; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit, Marineland C-160 filter; all with Press. CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Seattle,

At the very bottom of the photo I'm wondering if you're looking at the staurogyne repens I just planted. Those poor guys took a beating at the hands of a large cichlid that has since been moved, and the plants were uprooted and re-planted several times (and were recently in another tank until the cichlid could be re-homed). I would have presumed our city water is fairly hard - it typically is but I haven't officially tested.

Tags
java fern deficiency

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode