The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plant Recommendations 22gal?

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  JJBTEXAS 
#1 ·
I've been out of the hobby for quite some time but decided to get back in now that I have my first home. It's a Mr Aqua 22gal. The dimensions of the tank are 36"x12"x12". I'm using BDBS for the substrate and got some dragon rock at my LFS for hardscape.

What plants should I be looking for in this low tech setup? I really want some red plants but I know that can be difficult with low light. Here are some of my ideas:

Foreground
-ANUBIAS NANA PETITE

Mid
-DWARF HAIR GRASS
-ANUBIAS NANA

Back
-MICRANTHEMUM MICRANTHEMOIDES
-BACOPA MONNIERI
-LUDWIGIA NATANS (super red)

#5 ·
Do you have a recommendation for a plant that would show some red coloring?

I like fast growing easy plants in the background,like rotala rotundfolia,Hygrophila polysperma or cormbosa.Especially if you've been out of it for awhile.why make things harder than they have to be?

here's an easy plant list.I even have success with most of these.

Aquascape plants

I think you're on the right track with the anubias,that stuff will survive almost anything.the Bacopa is a great plant as well.

in a low tech setting( all of my tanks),I seem to be having success with `telanthera cardinalis' (alternanthera reniekeii) sold in the small bag from petsmart.It's rooting and growing for me.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in to put fish in,I would suggest putting MGOCPM under that bdbs.I've recently tried it in a couple of tanks and it's really growing plants well.
Thanks for the link and suggestions. I've heard the MGOCPM doesn't completely dissolve and can lead to ammonia spikes so that's holding me back a little.

#4 ·
I like fast growing easy plants in the background,like rotala rotundfolia,Hygrophila polysperma or cormbosa.Especially if you've been out of it for awhile.why make things harder than they have to be?

here's an easy plant list.I even have success with most of these.

Aquascape plants

I think you're on the right track with the anubias,that stuff will survive almost anything.the Bacopa is a great plant as well.

in a low tech setting( all of my tanks),I seem to be having success with `telanthera cardinalis' (alternanthera reniekeii) sold in the small bag from petsmart.It's rooting and growing for me.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in to put fish in,I would suggest putting MGOCPM under that bdbs.I've recently tried it in a couple of tanks and it's really growing plants well.

#11 ·
the nuvo is getting tannins from the Mopani wood I put in.I should have boiled it longer.that stuff will leech for days.They say the mgo will until it has 3 water changes or so.The pics of that tank are always taken before the weekly water change,so it's as dark as it gets.the leeching is less and less each water change.

I honestly haven't noticed any discoloration on the spec V with no wood.it gets dark because each week the water lettuce completely covers the top,I have just 4 mother plants in there,and they spread that fast.

To really keep the water pristine,you could run purigen.that'll do it!

#13 ·

I've attached this Tank shot to give y'all a better idea of the look I'm going for. Because the thank is so shallow, and I want to have a nice hill, only shorter plants will work on the left side of the tank. I think using lots of stem plants on the right side of the tank and more broad leaf plants on the left side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.