• 1 Post By MtAnimals
  • 1 Post By MtAnimals
  • 1 Post By MtAnimals
  • 1 Post By JJBTEXAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plant Recommendations 22gal?

I've been out of the hobby for quite some time but decided to get back in now that I have my first home. It's a Mr Aqua 22gal. The dimensions of the tank are 36"x12"x12". I'm using BDBS for the substrate and got some dragon rock at my LFS for hardscape.

What plants should I be looking for in this low tech setup? I really want some red plants but I know that can be difficult with low light. Here are some of my ideas:

Foreground
-ANUBIAS NANA PETITE

Mid
-DWARF HAIR GRASS
-ANUBIAS NANA

Back
-MICRANTHEMUM MICRANTHEMOIDES
-BACOPA MONNIERI
-LUDWIGIA NATANS (super red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hello? anybody there?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

k your plants are all mixed up. Pearlweed and DHG are foreground, chuck the DHG you wont be able to grow it. Bacopa is background. ludwigia wont give you a red color in your tank, anubias will be fine but that's a mid ground / foreground

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like fast growing easy plants in the background,like rotala rotundfolia,Hygrophila polysperma or cormbosa.Especially if you've been out of it for awhile.why make things harder than they have to be?

here's an easy plant list.I even have success with most of these.

Aquascape plants

I think you're on the right track with the anubias,that stuff will survive almost anything.the Bacopa is a great plant as well.

in a low tech setting( all of my tanks),I seem to be having success with `telanthera cardinalis' (alternanthera reniekeii) sold in the small bag from petsmart.It's rooting and growing for me.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in to put fish in,I would suggest putting MGOCPM under that bdbs.I've recently tried it in a couple of tanks and it's really growing plants well.
BettaBettas likes this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
k your plants are all mixed up. Pearlweed and DHG are foreground, chuck the DHG you wont be able to grow it. Bacopa is background. ludwigia wont give you a red color in your tank, anubias will be fine but that's a mid ground / foreground
Do you have a recommendation for a plant that would show some red coloring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
I like fast growing easy plants in the background,like rotala rotundfolia,Hygrophila polysperma or cormbosa.Especially if you've been out of it for awhile.why make things harder than they have to be?

here's an easy plant list.I even have success with most of these.

Aquascape plants

I think you're on the right track with the anubias,that stuff will survive almost anything.the Bacopa is a great plant as well.

in a low tech setting( all of my tanks),I seem to be having success with `telanthera cardinalis' (alternanthera reniekeii) sold in the small bag from petsmart.It's rooting and growing for me.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in to put fish in,I would suggest putting MGOCPM under that bdbs.I've recently tried it in a couple of tanks and it's really growing plants well.
Thanks for the link and suggestions. I've heard the MGOCPM doesn't completely dissolve and can lead to ammonia spikes so that's holding me back a little.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know of one in real low light like that no.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
Do you have a recommendation for a plant that would show some red coloring?

Thanks for the link and suggestions. I've heard the MGOCPM doesn't completely dissolve and can lead to ammonia spikes so that's holding me back a little.
I have 2 tanks with mgocpm that I set up in the last month or so,both are showing 0 ammonia when I test.Either they have stopped leeching ammonia,or the bio filter and plants are taking care of it.

not sure what you mean by dissolving....it's dirt,it's supposed to be a substrate,you just put sand on top of it for a cap to hold it down and keep it out of sight.

here's my dirted tanks:
rebooted spec V..now with dirt!

Nuvo 10,first dirted tank
BettaBettas likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
I have 2 tanks with mgocpm that I set up in the last month or so,both are showing 0 ammonia when I test.Either they have stopped leeching ammonia,or the bio filter and plants are taking care of it.

not sure what you mean by dissolving....it's dirt,it's supposed to be a substrate,you just put sand on top of it for a cap to hold it down and keep it out of sight.

here's my dirted tanks:
rebooted spec V..now with dirt!

Nuvo 10,first dirted tank
Sorry I was thinking of OC+ not MGOCPM. Not really interested in going dirted. Some people love it, but I'm not ready to make the leap.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
Sorry I was thinking of OC+ not MGOCPM. Not really interested in going dirted. Some people love it, but I'm not ready to make the leap.

And that's ok too.IME,Ocote + has never leeched anything,and I've never seen anything that didn't dissolve.The key is moderation,and putting the caps in as deep as you can,you'll never see anything that way.You only use one cap per 6 sq inches,and bury as deep as you can.

As far as dirt goes,it just makes everything easier.Plants grow better in dirt than in rocks.It's just that simple.Most of my tanks are still gravel,those are just the two dirted ones.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

does dirt always make your tank brown or tannin like? @MtAnimals because I don't want my tank like that, would like it dirted but pristine
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
does dirt always make your tank brown or tannin like? @MtAnimals because I don't want my tank like that, would like it dirted but pristine
the nuvo is getting tannins from the Mopani wood I put in.I should have boiled it longer.that stuff will leech for days.They say the mgo will until it has 3 water changes or so.The pics of that tank are always taken before the weekly water change,so it's as dark as it gets.the leeching is less and less each water change.

I honestly haven't noticed any discoloration on the spec V with no wood.it gets dark because each week the water lettuce completely covers the top,I have just 4 mother plants in there,and they spread that fast.

To really keep the water pristine,you could run purigen.that'll do it!
BettaBettas likes this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

ah, thanks!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've attached this Tank shot to give y'all a better idea of the look I'm going for. Because the thank is so shallow, and I want to have a nice hill, only shorter plants will work on the left side of the tank. I think using lots of stem plants on the right side of the tank and more broad leaf plants on the left side.
BettaBettas likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode