The Planted Tank Forum banner

Few questions before I go ahead with my new project

972 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  redavalanche 
#1 ·
Hello,

My first post here after lurking for a few years (on and off).

I currently have a 45G (36Wx12Lx24H) tank (thats been running for few years now so its well established chemistry wise) that I would like to turn into a low-tech planted.
I have been reading a lot on here last few weeks and I think I know what I want.

Here is what I have in mind:

Plants:
Flame sword
Amazon sword
Jungle Val x 10
Dwarf Sag x 20
Cryptocoryne Spiralis
Micro Sword carpet
Anubias nana and/or petite

Fish:
2 GBR's
20 Black neon tetras
5 Otto's

Substrate:
Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix
Safe T Sorb cap (under swords, crypts, vals and sag)
Pool filter sand cap (under micro sword)

Lights:
LED Floodlights (2x30w 6500K)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFVG9Z8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AKFXA5SBNHIA
They are also available in lower wattage.

Here are my questions:
1. Is Safe T Sorb OK to use as cap for dirt? It is pretty light weight and could be easily disturbed. Or should I just do all sand? (have plenty of both at home)

2. Should I rinse the "dirt" before putting into the tank? I will pick out the wood chips. Have seen both suggested but want to know the best way.

3. Will it be too much light for low-tech setup?

I do have dry ferts at home and could dose occasional Excel but any CO2 setup is out of the question.
There is the thread I found on here with pretty much exact same set-up I am looking at.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...y-led-hanging-lights-45-tall.html#post9903098
smj posts following as far as the lights go:
"With both lights running, most of the time the Kill-a-Watt indicates they draw 45-50W total. I know I need to measure PAR to see what the plants want, but I haven't converted this light meter yet. Using it, with the light rig hanging 26" above the stand, I measure 2,500 lumens dead center and front-center; 2,000 lumens at center-rear because I have the lights offset slightly to the front; 1,500 lumens at the center of the left edge and 1,400 on the right. Corners vary from 1,300 to 1,600."

Please let me know what you think.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.