So i am trying too... - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dukydaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Question So i am trying too...

Hello and thank you for reading since im in need of some assistance!
My 8 year old cousin told me over the phone today (she lives in GA) that she's getting a fish tank! For this I am so excited to pass on my teachings to a family member who is like a sister to me. How should I keep her focused and entertained while explaining how to properly care for a Betta Fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

Teach her parents the techniques and she can just enjoy the fish keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to dukydaf
Hmm, really depends on her personality and interests. However at that age she could be very much into the fishy one week and ignore it altogether the next. I agree, the parents bear the responsibility and should supervise her that she does what she should do and supplement what she does not do.

Ask her to find information on her own...what is the latin name, where can you find them in the wild, what do they eat there. Once she finds the information maybe aim to introduce some critical thinking questions like : why do we need to add this substance before we put water from the tap into the aquarium, what temperature do you think the betta likes.... prepare to be amused.

Another thing I find goes well with kids is to show them photographs of aquariums and bettas or even movies that are somehow related.

Lastly, don't be disappointed and don't push. It is normal for children to get excited for their new pet only to loose interest. Maybe once she grows older she will continue / restart this interesting hobby remembering with a smile on her face her first betta.
maxhrbal and BettaBettas like this.

Was this helpful?
Consider giving a little information back to help me shape a new planted aquarium website. You can use the form HERE .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitaiwan666 View Post
Teach her parents the techniques and she can just enjoy the fish keeping.

Her parents aren't the best at teaching, or anything else if you get what I mean here
Thank you for the suggestion though!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Planted Member

I think she needs to learn on her own and what not, with your guidance of course. Encourage her to ask questions and research if she's capable. Explain the crucial basics and let it be a learning experience. Unfortunately keeping an 8 year old focused and entertained is going to be hit and miss. If she gets tired of it in a month, there's not much you can do being in another town/state. If and when she loses interest, it will still be an experience for her. I was given a guinea pig when I was about her age, and my parents gave 100% responsibility and no help what so ever. I didn't take the BEST care of it and it died of an illness 2 years later but I learned a lot, and later when I got a cat in college, i was prepared and 100% determined. So like mentioned above, whatever the outcome, maybe she'll get into the hobby when she's older and have a more responsible outlook. I hope what I'm trying to explain was received well and understood LOL I know I didn't explain it all that well but that's my two cents!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode