10 Gallon Betta Tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzo View Post
I actually had a bottle of aquavitro seed that I started dosing about a week ago. But I'll keep that product you mentioned in mind. Have you had good experience with that product?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good love the scape where did you get drag stone from did you order online

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Econde likes this.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Algae Grower

Don't forget that if you plan on adding other fish, add those before the betta. That should help him transition into viewing them as "part of the decor" rather than invaders into his territory.

Great set-up so far!
Econde likes this.

Once upon a time I had ludwigia. It disintegrated.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mageikman32 View Post
Looking good love the scape where did you get drag stone from did you order online

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Someone from the forums was selling them for cheap. Met up with them in Chicago. It was like 2 dollars per pound. Even sold me that driftwood.

mageikman32 likes this.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altheora View Post
Don't forget that if you plan on adding other fish, add those before the betta. That should help him transition into viewing them as "part of the decor" rather than invaders into his territory.

Great set-up so far!
I was thinking sparkling gouramis. What do you think? And will do I've also hear that they will stake their territory if they were introduced first.

post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
I was thinking sparkling gouramis. What do you think? And will do I've also hear that they will stake their territory if they were introduced first.

I would not suggest putting gouramis with bettas unless you have a much larger (30g+) tank which is heavily planted, and the ability to separate them if needed. They are not known as being good tank mates.

Some of the more common fish that bettas do well with (read: bettas don't attack them, they don't attack bettas) are Harlequin Rasboras, Corydora sp., and Otos. Do some research before picking a fish, as bettas definitely don't do well with many species.
Econde likes this.

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I would not suggest putting gouramis with bettas unless you have a much larger (30g+) tank which is heavily planted, and the ability to separate them if needed. They are not known as being good tank mates.

Some of the more common fish that bettas do well with (read: bettas don't attack them, they don't attack bettas) are Harlequin Rasboras, Corydora sp., and Otos. Do some research before picking a fish, as bettas definitely don't do well with many species.
Aren't sparkling gouramis way smaller and peaceful? That's what I've read up. But I have no experience with them. I do like harlequin rasboras and Otto's would be nice.

post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

I personally don't have any experience with sparkling gouramis, though I'd still be concerned about the brighter coloration. You could try asking on bettafish if anyone there has had luck with them.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I personally don't have any experience with sparkling gouramis, though I'd still be concerned about the brighter coloration. You could try asking on bettafish if anyone there has had luck with them.
Yea you're right. I will probably look into getting some Otto's. Do you have any recommendations?

post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

I had fabulous luck with my otos. They have a pretty high mortality rate, but I added them into a fully cycled, two-month old tank in the middle of an algae bloom, and all three survived and are flourishing. I think adding them after the algae bloom hit was what really helped them--they eat constantly, and that gave them a chance to eat all they wanted as they became acclimated to the tank. I just got my otos from Petsmart--nowhere fancy. I read somewhere to try to get them after they'd been at the store for at least 2 weeks, to help weed out the weaklings.

I no longer have an algae problem (they nipped it in the bud basically overnight), and they're still doing well almost two months later.
Econde likes this.

post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I had fabulous luck with my otos. They have a pretty high mortality rate, but I added them into a fully cycled, two-month old tank in the middle of an algae bloom, and all three survived and are flourishing. I think adding them after the algae bloom hit was what really helped them--they eat constantly, and that gave them a chance to eat all they wanted as they became acclimated to the tank. I just got my otos from Petsmart--nowhere fancy. I read somewhere to try to get them after they'd been at the store for at least 2 weeks, to help weed out the weaklings.

I no longer have an algae problem (they nipped it in the bud basically overnight), and they're still doing well almost two months later.
Well I will go check some otos out tomorrow. I will have to change like 99% of my water first though. Would it be bad to buy both otos and the betta at the same time? Just put the Otis first?

post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

Why are you changing 99% of your water, if I might ask?

I'd suggest buying the otos first to give your cycle a chance to catch up to them. Bettas have a pretty low bioload, though, so either should be fine. Give the otos an hour or two to find some hiding spots before adding the betta to the tank, and leave the lights low the first few hours they're in together to provide the otos more opportunities to hide.

post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Why are you changing 99% of your water, if I might ask?

I'd suggest buying the otos first to give your cycle a chance to catch up to them. Bettas have a pretty low bioload, though, so either should be fine. Give the otos an hour or two to find some hiding spots before adding the betta to the tank, and leave the lights low the first few hours they're in together to provide the otos more opportunities to hide.
My tank is already cycled, I have to change the water to get rid of all the excess nitrates before I add any fish. Just finished the cycle not too long ago, I've been dosing the tank with ammonia still to keep the bb fed.

post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well my son and I are headed to our LFS. Going to go check out some bettas and otos. Hoping they have something similar to what my gf saw last last time

ArchimedesTheDog likes this.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So after I acclimated my otos for about 45 minutes, I dump them in my net and slowly add them into my 10 falling before the betta. One of the otos gets stuck in the net on its front barbs? I cut a price of the net off.

One thing I noticed, my assassin snail tried to climb onto one of the otos. Should I be concerned? I separated the two as fast as I could.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode