2Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Epiphany or obvious? Beamswork LED 48"

Epiphany? Or obvious? Beamsworks LED 48"
We've got a two or three month old 50 gallon aquarium in which I'm starting my low tech planted tank. I haven't got a way to measure PAR from the LEDs and have been trying to boost the light reaching the substrate. Firstly I cleaned the glass lid and removed the translucent plastic off the back where the 48" LED sits. That boosted the light in the aquarium some, but still I have no way to quantify the light level, but it is definitely brighter! Now while sitting and enjoying my aquarium the other day it dawned on me that with the dual timer on the LEDs I had the blues come on in the morning and then shut off after the general white lights came on. My epiphany is this: Why don't I have all the LEDs on? The blues are important as well correct? I'm thinking I'll program the timer so in the early morning like now when I can't sleep and sitting nearby at my desk and want to see my aquarium why not set the Blues to come on and stay on through out the day until evening after the white shut off?
The timer only has the ability to turn one set on and off only once. Currently the Blues come on early and then later the whites come on. It did not occur to me to overlap the times. Any thoughts on this?

Brian Rodgers
Aquarium Size: 50 gallon, Aquarium Type: Glass, Fluval 306 canister filter. Beamswork LED 48 inch.
Fish: Dwarf Gourami, Black Skirt Tetras, Otos, lonely Silver Dollar, Plants Jungle Vallisneria, Ludwigia Repens, LUFFY Philippines Java Fern. Ludwigia Peruensis and Cryptocoryne Wendtii added 1-10-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hehe I better add "Epiphany, obvious or wrong?

Brian Rodgers
Aquarium Size: 50 gallon, Aquarium Type: Glass, Fluval 306 canister filter. Beamswork LED 48 inch.
Fish: Dwarf Gourami, Black Skirt Tetras, Otos, lonely Silver Dollar, Plants Jungle Vallisneria, Ludwigia Repens, LUFFY Philippines Java Fern. Ludwigia Peruensis and Cryptocoryne Wendtii added 1-10-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think the blue light is more for aesthetics as a moon light for pre dawn and after dusk effects. I'm really not sure if running it all day would help, hurt, or change anything. I'm not too spectrum savvy, but I've heard light over 460nm isn't as useful to plants but may contribute to algae? I hope someone with a better understanding of this can chime in and simplify the science behind it

https://goo.gl/images/XunJYS

Last edited by KayakJimW; 10-20-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: p

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey thank you @KayakJimW That is good to know about Actinic 460nm I'll keep researching before I make a change.
I should have posted the exact lamp I have:
Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwwater Plant Extendable
by BeamsWork
Lumen: 2500
LEDs: 54x 0.50W
Config: 37x 10000K, 9x Actinic 460nm, 4x Red 620nm, 4x Green 520nm

Brian Rodgers
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Light is a funny thing that is terribly hard to get a firm grip. I might guess that 90% do not get it right on startup and do have to adjust as they see what's up. Personally, I never get it all exactly right as the plants keep throwing me a curve. The ideal is to get an exactly uniform level at all points in the tank? So what do we get when one plant like a sword grows so well the it shades half the tank? The same as in the yard, I have to move and adapt as things mature.
So while it may sounds like a really dumb copout, I never work to hard to get it exactly right at the start and just assume there will be times when I need to change thing up as I see fit.
I try to be in charge but at times nature wins that battle! So I drift along and enjoy the ride while nature does the driving.
Brian Rodgers likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a Planted+ 24/7 running in 24/7 mode (and I'm no expert). But what I've read suggests that red LED's along with white can be positive for photosynthesis, but not blue. Now I don't think adding the blue would hurt, just may not make any difference. Since it's very unlikely that adding the blue would hurt, and if your plants have stabilized in your tank and are growing, give it a try and monitor with an objective eye.
If your plants all die, we were wrong - LOL.....just kidding. I'm guessing if there's any difference, it'll be too close to call.
Brian Rodgers likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
Tank Journal
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Light is a funny thing that is terribly hard to get a firm grip. I might guess that 90% do not get it right on startup and do have to adjust as they see what's up. Personally, I never get it all exactly right as the plants keep throwing me a curve. The ideal is to get an exactly uniform level at all points in the tank? So what do we get when one plant like a sword grows so well the it shades half the tank? The same as in the yard, I have to move and adapt as things mature.
So while it may sounds like a really dumb copout, I never work to hard to get it exactly right at the start and just assume there will be times when I need to change thing up as I see fit.
I try to be in charge but at times nature wins that battle! So I drift along and enjoy the ride while nature does the driving.
I like the way you think. More of a holistic approach

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I have a Planted+ 24/7 running in 24/7 mode (and I'm no expert). But what I've read suggests that red LED's along with white can be positive for photosynthesis, but not blue. Now I don't think adding the blue would hurt, just may not make any difference. Since it's very unlikely that adding the blue would hurt, and if your plants have stabilized in your tank and are growing, give it a try and monitor with an objective eye.
If your plants all die, we were wrong - LOL.....just kidding. I'm guessing if there's any difference, it'll be too close to call.

I was saying just today to my wife that I think I am really going to enjoy my aquarium while I am now spending most of the week at home. It feels a little like what I imagine bonsai to be for the plant keeper.

Brian Rodgers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode