The Planted Tank Forum banner

staurogyne repens + dirt

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  WGR 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience growing staurogyne repens in a moderately lit tank with dirt?

Looking to do a little experimenting.

I will actually be less interested in trying this out if someone else has experience with it.

#2 ·
Anyone have any experience growing staurogyne repens in a moderately lit tank with dirt?
i had S. repens in my low light dirted tank last year. Initially it was a low light, then I modified it to a low-med light with some extra LEDs. They didn't die under the low light... but I would say they survived more than thrived. They only did marginally better under the low-med light. Once I replaced the light for med-high they did better, but each lighting upgrade didn't help all that much either. It wasn't until I started adding CO2 gas instead of excel that they did well in the dirted tank. They might have done better from the start if I had been using CO2 gas instead of Excel.

Someone else out there might be able to say with certainty if S. repens is known to have poor absorption with excel.

#3 ·
Mine had a slow start and after about 3-4 months it took off. Then the dirt lost its punch after a year and they got tall and lost alot of leaves. I trimmed and replanted and started dosing some ferts now it is growing back in slowly. Was a nice tight carpet i had and only trimmed
It once a month or so.

This is a finnex stingray over a 20l.

#5 ·
I honestly think it was getting a bunch from the soil. Once the soil started to get depleted it started to reach by lengthening itself to pull more from the water table.

I dont think a plant cares where it gets it nutrients. But it would adapt to get it from wherever possibly.

#6 ·
S. Repens benefits from a nutrient rich substrate but isn't strictly a root feeder. Yes it's a stem plant but it does put down extensive roots and a good substrate is recommended for the plant on multiple suppliers' sites. I have always placed Osmocote DIY tabs around my S Repens patch (growing in soil) and it seemed to benefit from it IME

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.