The Planted Tank Forum banner

New and need help with my planted 5.5 gallon

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  fracturedapple 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just started a new planted aquarium and I need some advice.

I have cobomba, wisteria, banana plant, java moss, java fern and anubis in a 5.5 gal tank with 1 betta, 2 ghost shrimp and 1 nerite snail. The tank has been running for 3 weeks and the plants have been in it for 4 days. I am using a bio filter rated for 10 gal, flourite substrate and a 10" finnex fugeray planted + clip on light. I keep the temp at about 73 degrees. I do not add CO2.

I have encountered a few issues:

Moapi wood still leaching tannins after boiling and soaking for several days.

Clear slime layer on wood.

Black stuff on java moss. I reduced the hours the light was on to help prevent algae. How long should i leave light on?

When should I start adding fertilizer?

Should I use Seachem excel?

How can I avoid too much algae?

When will I know if my plants are not going to work in this setup?

Any advice on my set up would be great!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Both issues with the driftwood are normal. You may even get a white fungus that the shrimp and snail will eat. It will eventually go away ;)

Black stuff on the java moss is probably diatoms at this point. Does it wipe off the leaves?

The rest of the questions are based on how you want to run your tank and can't really be answered with a blanket response. Ferts will help if you are deficient, but you'll have to read your pants. Your photoperiod will determine how much growth you get, but there has to be enough nutrients and CO2 for that process. Lacking CO2 with too much light will lead to algae as it will use nutrients the plants can't use without more CO2. Excel can help with that and reduce algae a bit, but it's not a silver bullet.

Basically, you have a ton of variables, and you have to find the right balance for how you want to manage your tank. The biggest piece of advice is to make changes slowly, watch carefully, and ask questions as things come up :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Just a suggestion, I think a Crypt wentii would look great in your tank, mid to front area. They fill out nice once they get settled. In my 29 I have two and when I started adding Excel they really took off. It is a smaller tank so space would be an issue but I think you could fit one in there quite nicely.

This is my 29 that I am tearing down to change substrate. The crypts were the only thing that was doing great in the sand/root tab substrate. They are one of my favorite plants and fairly easy. One word of advice if you go with them is that they tend to melt when you move them. So try to find a final location for planting. Good luck on the tank and be sure to update

#6 ·
When I was looking into what kind of driftwood to get, I found lots of people saying that mopani wood leached tannins for a long time even after boiling and soaking it. I like its light-and-dark coloration and its smoothness (as compared to Malaysian driftwood), but didn't think I'd like the tannins.

#8 ·
Hello,

I just started a new planted aquarium and I need some advice.

I have cobomba, wisteria, banana plant, java moss, java fern and anubis in a 5.5 gal tank with 1 betta, 2 ghost shrimp and 1 nerite snail. I am using a 10" finnex fugeray planted + clip on light. I do not add CO2.

I have encountered a few issues:
1. Moapi wood still leaching tannins after boiling and soaking for several days.
2. Clear slime layer on wood.
3. Black stuff on java moss. I reduced the hours the light was on to help prevent algae. How long should i leave light on?
4. When should I start adding fertilizer?
5. Should I use Seachem excel?
6. How can I avoid too much algae?
7. When will I know if my plants are not going to work in this setup?
1. Seachem Purigen in the filter will get rid of the tannins in the water
2. Slime is normal.
3. You can take the moss out and spray with peroxide solution (water : peroxide 12:1). I have found having a siesta period of 3hrs keep algae under control. I have lights on 3hrs/ off 3hrs/ on 3hrs.
4. Most of your plants are sulfate lovers which is supplied dosing potassium sulfate. Perhaps ¼ tsp weekly will help.
5. Ferns and mosses are sensitive to Seachem excel. Cobomba may not survive without Excel.
6. Aiming to get your plants to grow well.
7. When they start melting they are not for your setup. All but cobomba are easy easy plants. I have had them in a tank with no light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.