4Likes
  • 1 Post By Goomie
  • 2 Post By Algae_
  • 1 Post By Pattern8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lightbulb 1 Gallon Minimalist Planted Bowl

I was inspired by the video of "Jungle Bubble" even though he has pointed out flaws in the design. With that being said I need something simple I can leave somewhere that I am only at 1 week out of the month. Someone is there to do basic maintenance such as topoff and feed. I got a 1 gallon glass bowl, I will use a gooseneck lamp with an LED bulb for lighting. No mechanical filtration will be used, just air bubbles for circulation. I have this diffuser attached to a glass bend for the top, I will extend the diffuser down another inch or two. There is a mini silent air pump called an 'aPump' that I will use. The space on the bottom of the bowl that extend down will be filled with dirt, then mini gravel capping it. I still need a way to fit a micro heater into this bowl, may or may not need it.

For plants I am thinking about pygmy chain sword, dwarf hairgrass, java moss, and maybe a red leaf plant such as a crypt. I will see if I can get the person maintaining it to dose Flourish and Excel weekly. I know I will be adding red cherry shrimps for contrast and as the main attraction, along with a few tiny horned Nerite snails. I am unsure if Amanos will be needed, I know I need at least 2 of them so they are comfortable but this is really too small...not sure how effective cherry shrimp are at keeping up with algae. I will have the maintainer drop them a quality algae wafer broken up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:30 AM
Planted Member

Aqueon makes a mini 10w heater for 5 gallons or less. That's what I used in my 1 gallon jar project.
Teebo likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomie View Post
Aqueon makes a mini 10w heater for 5 gallons or less. That's what I used in my 1 gallon jar project.
Those heaters are not really controllable with a settable temperature, some of them are always on and don't regulate at all! I'd be careful that the ambient room temperature stays stable with the uncontrolled one.

@ teebo,

Did you say you're letting someone else care for this?

Little tiny tanks are a bit fussy for a beginner to be managing.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Those heaters are not really controllable with a settable temperature, some of them are always on and don't regulate at all! I'd be careful that the ambient room temperature stays stable with the uncontrolled one.

@ teebo,

I know they're not settable. But I have no fish in it and our ambient room temp is always cold in this house. I think the plants will be happier warm than cold lol
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post

Yeah, but I have had really good luck with small tanks and stability as long as they are heavily planted. The trick is emerging plants that have more access to the air, I have to add Nitrates to every tank I own.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am trying to do a test run at home and see how I like the looks, also testing stability. I made sure to buy the tiny tiny gravel and now I do not like it, I always try hiding the dirt layer in my tanks with a taper but its too hard in a bowl. I will replace it all with likely ADA soil so the color is all the same, and dark. The light is 10,000K but I would end up running 6,500K

I still like the magnification concept, checkout how the glass makes this micro gravel appear to be normal size, I can't wait to see shrimp under the same effect!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

What is the purpose of this project if you are only there one week / month? It's not really how the hobby works if you want something truly beautiful.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I want to enjoy it when I am there, and get them into the hobby. I pick at my tanks too much, it will be nice to arrive to something grown out that I can make more drastic changes to. I may not do this there...the more I think for stability I may do a 5 gallon with a filter.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
What is the purpose of this project if you are only there one week / month? It's not really how the hobby works if you want something truly beautiful.
Who is to say how the hobby works? The purpose of the project is to create a low tech bowl - I see no issue with that.
Teebo and Pattern8 like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae_ View Post
Who is to say how the hobby works? The purpose of the project is to create a low tech bowl - I see no issue with that.
He can do whatever he wants, and I hope it works out for him. I just think it's going to be a difficult journey to have a tank that sustains itself the way he probably envisions it, but keep us posted on how it works out.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
He can do whatever he wants, and I hope it works out for him. I just think it's going to be a difficult journey to have a tank that sustains itself the way he probably envisions it, but keep us posted on how it works out.
Well yes - it most likely will have its challenges. Better to actually try and do it rather than just sit back and say, "It'll be hard".
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 AM
Planted Member

I love these projects! Simple clean lines...the beauty is the simplicity Maybe use crystal red shrimp as they prefer colder temps 65-75?
Teebo likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can not get crystal only red cherry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode