The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shipping Cost Shock

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  AbbeysDad 
#1 ·
I finally put together my first plant order for a low light, Walsted type, dirted, 40 b tank, about $140 from The Planted Aquarium. I started the check out process to find that the cheapest form of shipping is $40 and there isn't any guarantee that the USPS will get it to me in a reasonable time. I live in the middle of nowhere - packages often don't get here in time. The next level of shipping is $80. Is this just the way it is? I'm almost sorry that I even got interested in this.

I've looked at the for sale forum here but can never put together enough of what I need. Any suggestions?

-Despondent

#4 ·
I've never heard of the planted aquarium. I've had the best luck buying and getting plants shipped from members of this forum. Sure you might have to wait a bit and get a few things from one person and then a few from someone else; but I'd bet you'll be happiest going that route when its all said and done.

Those shipping rates do seem unreasonable. Shipping plants does not require the same amount of attention/care/speed as shipping fish does.

#7 ·
That shipping cost is ridiculous. The actual cost of shipping plants via USPS Priority is way under $20, and that's for enough plants to fully fill a 55g++.

Post Office Hold is a good option, as the package will be waiting for you at a reasonable temperature instead of sitting in the sun / snow at your front door for hours.

#8 ·
I just got a very nice package from bartohog here on the site, he has over 300 plant species to choose from, if you order more than 50 dollars worth of stuff you get free shipping, I told him what I was doing and what I was spending, my lighting was and the fact I wanted easy peasy stuff, he put together alist of stuff and put together a really nice package

#10 ·
$40 if you were shipping a box of rocks cross-country maybe. That's just somebody trying to recover every dime remotely associated with packaging and shipping.

I had some juvenile swords shipped to me for $24 Priority. Stoopid me didn't read the "flat-rate". The box arrived with the postage on it. $9.60 . I took it on the chin since I didn't read the details. Never again.

The box was free, packed in 1 square foot of styrofoam, and one heat pack. For $24, he made a killing.

#11 ·
Well, all I can say is don't be despondent. Get determined and shop your brains out, lol!

I'm an hour's drive to a LFS also. That even includes the pet box stores. So I feel your pain.

I'll offer a couple of tips on shipping, fish included: Having stuff shipped "hold for pickup" is something you should look into. My P.O. actually calls when a package arrives. UPS does it also, but you'd have to be a reasonable distance from a UPS depot that will accept such packages. The folks at the other end also need to be well-versed in shipping instructions and you'll have to track the package like a bloodhound.

If you know someone who works in a setting where they'll be able to accept packages where they work, that quite frankly, is the best of all worlds. Commercial addresses get the best package service by a mile. I get 95% of everything I order shipped to my office. I'm on a first-name basis with the UPS guy and mailman, lol! Shipping to an address other than the billing address is easy for most any shipper to handle.

If you can't find any sources here or reasonably local, try Aquabid. The handful of plant shippers should be able to work with you pretty well.

#12 ·
It's like double dipping...reminds me of all those adds 'buy one, get one free JUST PAY ADDITIONAL SHIPPING AND HANDLING'

(As I think was mentioned) Most all plants 'could' be shipped in a flat rate USPS box 'Priority Mail' for about $8.00. Charging large amounts for next day shipping just doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.