The Planted Tank Forum banner

Echinodorus Tenellus is growing tall like a Stem Plant - No runners

10K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  kanishkster 
#1 ·
Hi,

Having no success in establishing a carpet with Micranthemum Unbrosum (Montecarlo), I switched to Echinodorus Tellenus, considering it is easier to form a carpet with it.
However, instead of spreading, the plant is just growing tall, with some leaves around 5 inches long. The plant was grown emersed when I had bought it, as it came in a pot.
I have tried trimming too, but no success. Is it an issue with the plant or should I be taking care of something else?

#7 · (Edited)
Its been around 4 weeks. May'be I should wait longer. Other than being long, some of the leaves are around 3mm in width. Here is the pic:

Bump:
How much light is there? Many carpeting plants spread best under higher light.
Light is 36W CFL, around 18 inches above the substrate. Photo period is 7 hours. Plant is growing on a good rate, its just that growing tall instead of sending runners.

Attachments

#4 ·
i have tenellus under very poor lighting. even the mother plant is not more than 2-3 inches high.

Mine struggled for a couple months, it grew but didn't look all that great. I think the roots have finally spread enough and maybe hit some root tab spots because it is really taking off now.

#6 ·
Hi kanishkster,

Are you sure you received Echinodorus tellenus (now Helanthium tenellum / Pygmy Chain Sword)? Maybe you received Micro Swords (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae) instead? I grow my Helanthium tenellum in fairly low light (PAR=25) and have not experienced excessive leaf length.

10 gallon; PAR = 25 (2 X 10w CFL); No CO2

Helanthium tenellum / Pygmy Chain Sword (previously Echinodorus tellenus)

#12 ·
Hi kanishkster,

Are you sure you received Echinodorus tellenus (now Helanthium tenellum / Pygmy Chain Sword)? Maybe you received Micro Swords (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae) instead? I grow my Helanthium tenellum in fairly low light (PAR=25) and have not experienced excessive leaf length.
Hmm..as recommended by others, I would wait for few more weeks and see if runners appear. By the way nice tank.
Would you mind sharing names of all the plants you have in it?

#15 ·
I have some, probably took a while to get going. They need Root Tabs. I have a MiracleGrow substrate so I don't use them. I do 1/4 IE ferts too. I have a 10 gal. with two 10W CFLs hanging 8 hours a day. Once they took off they really took off, going all around the tank walls and in towards the middle. Yours are much more closely planted than mine, even as they have grown.

The height seems about normal. BTW, do you have enough light? I see some yellow on some of the leaves in your tank. All I can say is it's not normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.