The Planted Tank Forum banner

Finnex 24/7

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Corey A 
#1 ·
I just bought the finnex 24/7 but i am a total newb when it comes to proper lighting for plants. I have been growing low light slow growing plants for years. I decided to uprade to harder plants. I switched to flourite substrate i have c02 also now. I purchased these plants ludwigia repen (rubin)- micranthemum (monte carlo)-creeping jenny and giant hygrophili corymbosa (narrow leaf). My question is this should i use the 24/7 setting for these plants or just put it on max for 10 to 12 hours a day?

#4 ·
Ok i got the finnex 24/7 and set it up yesterday. I thought i did it right but am not sure. I set it up at noon. it started as reddish lighting then after a couple of hours was very bright i was assuming the normal daylight setting but at 10 pm i had to shut it off because it never changed. did i do something wrong?

#6 ·
It is on the 24 hour schedule but it just seems like the light is on for much longer then it should be. when i checked it during middle of the night the blue light was on. i normally kept my normal light (not a plant light) on for 12 hours a day. i am assuming the redish or brownish light is suppose to be dawn and dusk lighting. but when you add dawn dusk and max setting together its seems to me its on for much longer then 12 hours. i have not been able to see when the nighttime(blue) light actually comes on or off. if this is normal then thats fine but i am worried to much light will hurt the fish and plants.

#9 ·
Taz, I have been using the 24/7 since October. I have found that a 36" on a 65 gallon tall is insufficient. I have also found that two 36" fixtures are insufficient to grow high light plants in my tank (rotala and HC). So I would confidently say that a single 36" fixture on your 40 gallon would be insufficient to grow Ludwigia Repens. If you cannot afford another fixture or supplement the one you have, then I would suggest just pulling the Repens now and replace it with a plant with lower light requirement. I would go ahead and suggest getting a second 24/7, and you will be rocking and rolling. That should get you to a point where you can grow whatever you please! Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.