The Planted Tank Forum banner

44 gal pentagon lights

778 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  thedood 
#1 ·
I'm new to planted tanks and I'm trying to find out where I stand as far as lighting goes.

I have the standard light that comes with the tank, a 18 in with a 15 watt t8. It says it's in the 5000k range and high intensity.
The other fixture is a deep blue solarflare eco led light strip 6700k 18 in.

The tank is 24 in. deep.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have the style tank. I currently house a single hongi in mine but I have been eyeing it for a planted tank as I think the style would lend itself well to a planted display. May I ask what kind of cover you have or are you going open top?

#4 ·
Are you planning on a low tech setup? I wish I could give you better answers but I havent been into the planted setups that long myself and I would hate to give you bad info. I can tell you this. If it was mine I would personally go low tech and use the eco sun and stock hood but thats me. You already have the equipment if budget is an issue. How long before you think you will be ready for plants?

#5 ·
Budget isn't really an issue that's just what I have with this tank at the moment. I'm just unsure where I fall as far as low/med/high light goes. I'm assuming low. So if I'm in need of lights that would do better in can get them.

I can do pressurized co2 pretty easy and I'll probably get fertilizers soon I'm thinking.

Probably start with some s. Repens and Java fern, something that should take some time to kill lol. I can start planting at any time now but I'd just like to know more before I do

#6 ·
This thread has me thinking of the possibilities I have with mine. I originally got mine to make into a dart frog tank but that plan got derailed. Anyway back on topic. If it was me I would stick with low tech and get the hang of that. Much less to learn to begin with. It is what I have done and have had good luck. I started with a 10g shrimp tank with dirt capped with black diamond sand and it has really flourished well. I use O+ caps I make myself as root tabs. Its going so well I am moving everything to a 20 because the 10 is such a jungle.

I think the best advice I can give as far as lights is figure out exactly what kind of setup you want. Know the plants you want as they will determine the rest of the rig. The biggest mistake I made was not planning well enough which is leaving me a little disappointed in my 75g.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.