LED Lighting for a 20 gallon! Help! - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Talking LED Lighting for a 20 gallon! Help!

Hey there, I'm currently in the process of setting up a planted Iwagumi in a 20 gallon tank.
Dimensions: (approx)
19.29 x 16.93 x 12.99 in
49 x 43 x 35 cm

But I quickly realised the lighting which came with my tank was absolutely crap for planting!

(1st image attached)
It came installed with two PL-11watt G23 Fluorescent Red/White blubs.

So I was browsing online and looking for some decent replacements and I came across G23 Corn Bulbs with SMD 5050 LED Lamp AC85-265V. (2nd attached image)

They're pretty cheap, look solid, and come in white and warm white. But I can't seem to find any light spectrum information on the things! :'(
Does anyone know if they're any good for growing plants? If they are, should I buy warm white or plain white, and is two of these LEDS at 16 watts enough for a 20 gallon?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PL.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	529106  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED PL.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	529114  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Algae Grower
That G23 bulb is a tough form factor to fit. A mix of cool and warm white LEDs is the easiest combo of LED's that will grow stuff and look ok IMO. I do a 50/50 or 60/40 in favor of the cool 5600k LED's

Typical data sheet for warm 5050:

Typical data sheet for cool 5050:

The warm is essentially a broad spectrum yellow/orange that will provide some of the 660mn red you are looking for. Cool LED's are basically blue LED's with some color, but the peak there is 450-480 which matches up pretty good with the blue photosynthetic reactive spectrum. Too bad it will be hard to a bulb that has the mix of cool/warm LED's on it. If I had to pick, I would take the 5600k LED's or cool white.

How committed to that light fixture are you? If you are on a budget, you might be better served by some clamp lights and CFL's. If you're the DIY type a basic LED light with a manual dimmer isn't too hard to build. I'm not sure how available the parts are in Australia. I helped a guy down there build a reg and ended up having to ship him a few parts.

aquascaping, led aquarium lights, lighting 20g, plant growth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode